Flickering during games!

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Hey guys, so i bought a GTX 760 card recently, and i have some flickering during games. I recorded the gameplay with FRAPS, and in the video, it's perfect, no flickering whatsoever, so i assume, it is not the video card. Which leaves the cable and/or my monitor, which is a Samsung S27A350H.

Maybe another important info, i only had a vga to vga cabel, and on my new card, there was no vga, just a display, an hdmi, and a DVI output, so i bought a vga - dvi converter. With that, it worked, but there was flickering. I tried driver sweep and reinstall, older drivers, but since the fraps video didn't show any problem, it's clear it's either the cable, the adapter, or my monitor, right?

The thing that makes me somewhat less optimistic about this thing, is that i also tried the adapter with my older card, and it worked perfectly. :( So that pretty much leaves my monitor as the culprit? I tried to play with the refresh rate, but it only allows me to set it at 60 herz. I ordered 2 cables, an hdmi to hdmi cable, and a hdmi to dvi cable, but i'm afraid that's a hail mary if anything, as the adapter worked perfectly with my old card. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

the best case scenario will be the hdmi to hdmi cable. it's possible that the video card doesn't output dvi-i properly and that it will work ok on a digital cable.

since you ordered the 2 cables already it's safer to just wait for them and check. but i wouldn't lose hope it's quite possible that the problem will go away

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Thanks, yeah, hopefully it will work. If it won't, i guess we're looking at the monitor. If it turns out to be the monitor, does it mean the monitor is faulty somehow, or is it just a bad fit with that video card? Because i don't have flickering right now, not when i watch a movie, or just surfing, only while playing games, and the amount of flickering is also varies depending on the game. I don't think my monitor is high-end, but it's only like one and a half year old, and it was a $450 Samsung, i think 27''. It should be able to handle those games without flickering. Oh yeah, i also downloaded the driver of the monitor, but that didn't help either. I think the cables will arrive on friday, i'll let you know how it went, and once again, thank you for taking the time to answer! Have a nice day!

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Chieftec iARENA GPA-500S8 500W OEM PSU

Gigabyte B85M G3H motherboard

4 gigabyte corsair DDR3 ram.

I thought about the PSU, but if this was the video card, wouldn't the flickering show on the fraps recording? Thx for the answer!

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Yeah, i have tried all kinds of vertical sync settings, sorry for not mentioning it, with v-sync on it's better, without v-sync it's terrible, especially the Witcher 2, but it's somewhat apparent even during AC 4. I also tried RE 6, and there is no flickering when i set the in-game fps limit to 60. I tried to create a profile for Witcher 2 in Nvidia Inspector, and set an FPS limit, but it didn't help. Thanks for your answer!

First check your in-game settings, play with the settings until the flickering completely goes away, if that doesn't solve the problem then try to borrow a decent PSU from someone to test. I think your GPU is not getting proper power to run modern day games. Your PSU is not a trusted unit.

Or you can try the card on different slot(if available), see if it makes some difference.

Zoli from BP

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I already tried the other slot, no luck. But i ask again, doesn't the fact that there is no flickering on the FRAPS video means this is not a video card problem? I think it does, the video card sends a good signal, since there is no flickering in the video when i watch it. I could so very easily be wrong of course. :)