Question Flickering Green 'Lines of Pixels' on Laptop Display - Image retention or something more serious?

Mar 3, 2019
First off, I'm running a G3 Studio from HP, a relatively 'older' laptop released in 2016. I received this laptop early January of this year and haven't noticed any issues until early to mid-February. Because this laptop was also a hand-me-down from my dad, I'm not sure whether this was an underlying issue which was already present before I got the laptop.

Summary of issue: 'Stuck' green pixels on bottom-left part of monitor, ie: colors like white and those which contain green display fine, but those which don't have tinges of green, flickering lines of varying lengths. It's difficult to tell what colors they flicker between, but they're flickering nonetheless. I'm thinking that this might be a monitor issue, maybe from college over-use or something, but it might be something else. I've also had a few previous image retention issues caused by my laptop display staying on inside my backpack, which would 'retain' my desktop background. These were solved within a few days using a combination of jsscreenfix, leaving the laptop off, and displaying a white screensaver. Overall, I hope to diagnose and fix this issue if possible (which probably means buying a new screen), or at least find some ways to prevent further deterioration or hopefully reverse the damage. I'm thinking something like white screensavers, jsscreenfix, jsscreenfix (the deluxe version), etc.

*I also play League of Legends quite frequently, could that be an underlying cause?

Steps I've gone through to troubleshoot the issue:
  • Booted in safe mode - no difference, stuck pixels are just as present as before.
  • Stuck pixels present during black boot screen, probably something monitor-related.
  • Used JSScreenfix, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
  • Also note that sometimes it 'mysteriously' disappears after not being used overnight, which is weird because sometimes it stays on.
- Could this mean that my laptop is turning on during the night? How can I diagnose this? I completely shut down the computer when I go to sleep, but can it still turn on during the night?

Relevant image: View: https://i.imgur.com/D6Kthbm.jpg

EDIT: Changing NVIDIA Green brightness to 0 removes the issue entirely, and 100 amplifies the issue.
Relevant image (0 brightness): View: https://i.imgur.com/4Am7PpZ.jpg

Relevant image (100 brightness): View: https://i.imgur.com/6fLwoWI.jpg

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah, it looks like the laptop will need a new display. Do you see the same thing when connected off an external display? You might also want to address how a laptop stays on when inside your backpack...? That can and will lead to GPU damage.

Mar 3, 2019
Yeah, it looks like the laptop will need a new display. Do you see the same thing when connected off an external display? You might also want to address how a laptop stays on when inside your backpack...? That can and will lead to GPU damage.
Thank you for your response. Since then, I have set the laptop to sleep when the lid is closed, so that should solve most of my issues.

TRENDING THREADS