[SOLVED] Flickering Horizontal Lines/Lag/Stutter ?

Dec 20, 2022
Alright, I'm at my wit's end, I feel like I've tried everything and nothing has helped so far. I've asked on Reddit already but got answers that I've already attempted, there's also a video there if anybody wants to see what it looks like
Video

This problem only seems to happen when both monitors are in use, and what's weird is that it tends to not happen directly after a restart but happens after sleeping and waking up the computer.
Sometimes, sleeping and waking up the computer a few times fixes it, sometimes unplugging either the HDMI or DP cable fixes it, sometimes the flickering lines switch to the other monitor (It tends to prefer the HDMI one), both monitors are set to their respective refresh rates in windows and have been for basically forever and before this problem came up.

It's quite annoying because when it's flickering, the displays lag and stutter like no tomorrow. Never had any overclock or undervolt on the GPU, just using it stock.
PLEASE NOTE that this never used to happen before, and nothing changed about the setup since it started other than a new Logitech mouse, it started a few months ago and has gotten worse overtime, and I've had this GPU for a few years now, so before anyone pulls the usual "Haha AMD", this just recently started happening and for the most part it has been smooth.

My setup is this:
Windows 11 Pro
AMD Ryzen 3700X
Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT
32GB 3200MHz RAM (XPG)
Gigabyte 750W PSU
144hz 1080p LG Monitor (Displayport)
75hz 1080p Asus Monitor (HDMI)

Things I've already tried:
  • DDU and reinstall drivers/factory reset
  • Reset BIOS to factory settings
  • Switch GPU BIOS from OC to SILENT
  • 3 completely different sets of new HDMI and DP cables of varying prices and brands
  • Memtest86, passes with no problems
  • Syncing the refresh rates in windows and turning on/off freesync on both monitors and through Radeon, I've tried so many configurations it hurts.
  • Uninstalled Afterburner (No overclock, just for monitoring/FPS), removed it but no success)
  • Running in safe mode only enables 1 monitor which never flickers, this ONLY happens in multimonitor
  • Switching the Displayport to another port on the GPU
  • Only 1 HDMI port on the GPU but I was able to isolate that by using a DP to HDMI cable to see if it could be the HDMI port, no success
  • Probably some more things I can't remember right now
At this point all I can suspect is the GPU or one of the monitors has gone haywire, if anybody has any suggestions to what I could try it'd be much appreciated! I could try a fresh Windows install but I don't want to do that unless necessary.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022
Is the gpu powered by two seperate pcie cables?

Did you try the other bios mode? (Quiet vs OC)

Which Gigabyte psu exactly?

1. It is not, it is daisy chained with 1 PCIE cable, I will switch it to 2 separate PCIE cables
  2. Forgot this GPU had this setting, switched it to "Silent", restarted and flickering/stutter is still there
  3. Gigabyte P750GM

I'll have to find the other PCIE cable to test it and see if it stops when there's 2 separate cables plugged in.

Dec 20, 2022

Just had the time to test it out:

1: Yep, tried it, didn't help
2: That's not good, apparently they're offering a free replacement program to a revised version, I'll get on that

In the meantime, I'll probably try to swap out parts from my wife's PC and see what makes it stop, at this point it could either be GPU or PSU, this is getting quite frustrating

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
2: That's not good, apparently they're offering a free replacement program to a revised version, I'll get on that
That is a good thing ,yes do make use of that.

In the meantime, I'll probably try to swap out parts from my wife's PC and see what makes it stop, at this point it could either be GPU or PSU, this is getting quite frustrating
Sems you're on top of it, just test with the other parts you can use and see what happens. Try to keep relaxed, frustration might cost parts, you don't want to ruin them.

Dec 20, 2022
That is a good thing ,yes do make use of that.

Sems you're on top of it, just test with the other parts you can use and see what happens. Try to keep relaxed, frustration might cost parts, you don't want to ruin them.

I haven't had a chance to swap parts out from my wife's PC yet, I submitted the claim for the PSU though.
I did notice something a bit interesting, I never gave the PC enough time to rectify the issue itself after I wake it up, usually when the lines start coming up I'd instantly put it to sleep again and wake it up multiple times until the flickering disappeared. Today I woke it up and let it be for around 5 minutes, and the flickering slowly disappeared, now I'm wondering if it's a matter of something warming up, or coming up to temperature when the flickering stops

Dec 20, 2022
If you can try another gpu from your wifes pc if she has a dedicated gpu. You did test with only one monitor?

Well, it's almost as if you predicted it, it was the PSU.

The PSU failed completely a few days after my last post, it started clicking rapidly when waking up the computer and sometimes wouldn't let the PC wake up at all, requiring unplugging and plugging back in. Today it failed completely and no matter how much I tried, no signs of life from it.

Replaced it with a Corsair RM850x, the flickering is gone, the stutter and lag is also gone, I will wait for Gigabyte to respond to the ticket about their faulty PSU and swap it out and sell it brand new. Will never be going with another Gigabyte PSU ever again.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Dec 20, 2022
Spoke too soon, the power supply was not the culprit for the flickering, it's back with the new power supply, so I'll have to keep testing. But at least we ruled out the PSU now

Dec 20, 2022
Still can test with your wives gpu?

It has been a while, been busy, but I finally got around to testing.

I didn't try my wife's GPU, however I got a new monitor as a gift, I got rid of the 144hz 24 inch LG one in favor of a 34 inch 144hz Gigabyte ultrawide, and believe it or not that completely fixed all the flickering, lag and stutter. I'm not exactly sure why the monitor would have anything to do with it but it's all fixed now.

I gave my old 144hz 24 inch to my wife, and her setup has absolutely no flickering with that same monitor, it'll remain a mystery I guess. But thank you for your help!