[SOLVED] Flickering horizontal lines on display while gaming ?

Mar 28, 2021
Hey!

Recently, I have bought a computer which has a GTX 970 GPU in it. I am using a VGA monitor with a DVI VGA adapter, not the digital-analogue kind. I noticed that when I am in game, weird stripes of flickering show up on my screen. If I Alt+Tab out of the game, the flickering stays until I close the game. If I limit the FPS to 15 ish, the error goes away. Strangely, some games cause flickering stripes on the whole display, some games just a line. For example, in transport fever 2, I can move the flickering area by changing the graphics settings.
I have tried the PC with another display with the HDMI port. The error was gone.

Pc specs:
-Intel core i5 6500
-Inno3 gtx 970
-16 GB hyperx RAM
-500 W PSU

My display is an LG W1934S

Solutions I have tried:
Checked the cables
Changed the adapter
Changed the refresh rate of the display
Modified the phase and clock of the display
I tried everything related to drivers
Checked the temperature of the GPU and CPU

None of this helped. However I noticed that the flickering is related to the FPS somehow.

Is there a way I can get this to work normally with this display or should I buy a new one?

Somebody suggested that a DVI-D VGA active adapter might help. The problem is they aren't cheap. Anybody knows if it really helps?

Solution
I have tried the PC with another display with the HDMI port. The error was gone.
Is there a way I can get this to work normally with this display or should I buy a new one?

Somebody suggested that a DVI-D VGA active adapter might help. The problem is they aren't cheap. Anybody knows if it really helps?
You have your solution. Buy a new cable with active converter or a new monitor. Whatever you find "smarter". The cable MIGHT not work but from my experience it's rare not to.

I would personally get a new monitor but since you consider the cable expensive, I don't know what to tell you. New monitor means newer connections (in most cases) which will also be able to be used in a future gpu upgrade since almost all new...

You have your solution. Buy a new cable with active converter or a new monitor. Whatever you find "smarter". The cable MIGHT not work but from my experience it's rare not to.

I would personally get a new monitor but since you consider the cable expensive, I don't know what to tell you. New monitor means newer connections (in most cases) which will also be able to be used in a future gpu upgrade since almost all new cards do not have vga/DVI except some rare cases.

Solution
Mar 28, 2021
but since you consider the cable expensive
I don't know if I am looking at the right thing. I looked at something that costs about 9 dollars but I have read somewhere that the cheaper ones don't actually work. I opt for the cheaper solution because where I live, the equipment prices skyrocketed recently. Can you confirm for me that the cheaper ones work? On the picture, it looks like that the analogue "C" pins are missing from the connectors. Does it work without a power supply via USB? I don't really know that much about informatics.

You didn't have a link for.me to comment on what you saw. The cost of a cable is way lower than the cost of a new monitor even if you go extravaganza on it.

As I said, buying a new monitor would be ideal. The 9$ pricetag sounds right for an active converter. No it does not need extra power.

Mar 28, 2021
You didn't have a link for.me to comment on what you saw. The cost of a cable is way lower than the cost of a new monitor even if you go extravaganza on it.

As I said, buying a new monitor would be ideal. The 9$ pricetag sounds right for an active converter. No it does not need extra power.
Thank you! I will order one right now and if it solves the problem, I will mark this post solved.

Mar 28, 2021
Okay, I bought a converter you said, and it didn't help. Guess what the problem was. It was my display device. I just replaced it with another one, exactly the same type. Problem was solved. I guess it broke a while ago, but as I was using it as a secondary, I didn't notice on my previous computer. I can't help anyone with this thread, for sure, but just letting you know that the problem was solved. Thanks for trying to help!