Flickering Horizontal Lines on Screen

geoffj83

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
So I built this computer about a year ago, and everything's been running fine until a few months ago.
Here's a link to my PC parts: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/4FQ7YJ

So the problem is SOMETIMES the screen has flickering white lines. It's an intermittent problem that comes and goes randomly by restarting the computer, turning the screen on and off, or just by the screen saver coming on and off. Sometimes the lines are faint, and sometimes you can't even read any text due to the lines.
Sometimes when turning the screen off and on, it won't even come back on, with the screen reading "no signal". As if my computer was off.

I have 2 computer screens and 1 TV connected to my GTX 780ti.

My main screen is an Asus PA248Q 24.1", which is connected via DisplayPort, and is the only screen with this issue.
My 2nd screen is an old Acer AL1913 19" 1280 x 1024 monitor I bought over a decade ago, connected via VGA with a DVI adapter to the video card. (This screen has no issues)
3rd screen is a 40" TV (Sharp Aquos LC-40E67UN) which I bought like 5 years ago, connected to my 780ti via HDMI, which also has no issues. Although I recently disconnected this from my computer to help resolve the issue, with no avail.

Last week, before I was about to post on here, I decided to run "SlimDrivers" to see if maybe it was a driver problem. Turns out SlimDrivers updated a bunch of drivers for me, and the problem went away for a week. Now the lines keep coming back, drivers are all up to date according to SlimDrivers. I'm pretty sure the DisplayPort cord is firmly in. I just want to make sure that it's not a problem with my 780ti, as it's not even a year old, and fairly expensive.

Is it possible that the DisplayPort cord is faulty? It's an Amphenol cord that came with my PA248Q monitor. I have no other cords to try, and no other screens with a DisplayPort input. When I take a Screen Shot of my screen with the lines, the Screen Shot looks fine when the lines are gone.
Here are some pictures that I've taken of the screen:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ndaq4spue5kkux3/AABh1scqcOj5EoFsJ6yI9NeFa

Thanks in advance!

Solution
right now to me the suspect is either the cable or the display port output from the graphic card itself is having problem. personally i never use display port. not because i don't want to but monitor with DP is are simply not available in at my local shop. have you tried different cable?

also you mention about 4k in your earlier post. as i understand it HDMI version 1.4 can only support 30hz at 4k. but with HDMI 2.0 it will be upped to 60hz. not sure about 120hz support though. not a monitor expert but i believe you need monitor to implement the spec and of course support from graphic card itself. with the 900 series nvidia bring in HDMI 2.0 support to their geforce but it still depends on AIB to implement it. and it seems most AIB...

geoffj83

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Thank you for the reply.

Yes I have tried only using HDMI for this monitor with no problems as of yet.
But, I want to know if it's the:
1) DisplayPort cord
2) DisplayPort input on my screen
3) DisplayPort output on my video card
4) My monitor in general
5) Windows/Driver/Software issues

Because I don't want to have to switch to only using HDMI. I'd like to use the DisplayPort, so I can have 3 screens running at once, and I heard that when I switch to a 4K monitor, DisplayPort seems to be a better option.
So I'd like to find out now if it's something wrong with my video card($800) while it's still under warrenty, as I've only had it a year. Same with the monitor ($350).

I guess my best option would be to buy a new cord first. Than maybe try to swap screens with someone second.

Just was hoping someone out there knew if this could be a problem with just the cord before I went out and wasted 20$ on a new one.

Is it possible that my shitty speakers behind the monitor are causing this "noise" on the screen??

geoffj83

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
No, separate speakers that are sitting behind/beside the monitor.
Altec Lansing speakers that I got 2nd hand from a friend 10 years ago.
I was just thinking that maybe the magnetic field from the speakers could cause something like this??
But I don't think it would make sense for it to happen so sporadically and only on the one (DisplayPort) input.
Just throwing thoughts out there.

geoffj83

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I don't think that moving the speakers did anything...

I'll try to find a friend to swap monitors with, and see if it's the screen. It's just strange that it only does it on the DisplayPort input.

Have you ever heard of any issues with a DisplayPort cable?? From what I've heard it's either I get the full signal, or none at all.

I also find it strange that sometimes when I turn the monitor on and off to fix the problem, sometimes it gets rid of the lines (rarely), sometimes nothing happens, and sometimes it reads "no signal". As if my computer was off.

right now to me the suspect is either the cable or the display port output from the graphic card itself is having problem. personally i never use display port. not because i don't want to but monitor with DP is are simply not available in at my local shop. have you tried different cable?

also you mention about 4k in your earlier post. as i understand it HDMI version 1.4 can only support 30hz at 4k. but with HDMI 2.0 it will be upped to 60hz. not sure about 120hz support though. not a monitor expert but i believe you need monitor to implement the spec and of course support from graphic card itself. with the 900 series nvidia bring in HDMI 2.0 support to their geforce but it still depends on AIB to implement it. and it seems most AIB still using HDMI 1.4 with their 900 series.

Solution