Flickering Monitor Randomly Turns Off

phomatic

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2012
A few days ago my old PC was flickering on my second monitor. Then all of a sudden my PC gets a graphics drivers error and goes to toast.

My new PC just came in yesterday and my second monitor is still flickering, so it cannot be the graphics card that's faulty. I've tried changing both monitor cables and it still does not fix the issue. I've looked at my refresh rate and the only option is 60, so I cannot change it.

The monitor likes to flicker a lot and it will sometimes stop for a while then begin again. It has often times just turned my screen black and I have to turn my monitor off and on to show the display again.

Is this a monitor issue? I've had it for a while so it would not surprise me.

phomatic

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2012

Yeah cord swap did nothing. When I jammed it in a few minutes ago to see if it was just loose (as I had before), it seemed to help a little but will flicker every so often.

I did a clean reinstall of my drivers yesterday.

plankieee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
This seems to have be a work around to what seems to be a power or thermal problem on two monitors (1920 x 1200 resolution) or graphics card, I do suspect it is a monitor problem. One monitor was flickering, the other was one going on and off; when one or several windows with a white background covered the majority of the screen. I changed the background color of my most frequently used applications from all white (i.e., spreadsheet, text editor), and the web browser, and this seems be a work around.

Basically, I used a search engine to search for how to change background window color each specific application(s) and change the "default" , high intensity, all white window background to a light grey ; for my frequently used applications; note on my web browser, firefox, some websites over ride this light grey background color; but, not all; This doesn't seem to be a major problem for me, so far.

Note the hex code for the color in my case was set at #FFFFFF and I changed several applications to to like #BBBBBB on several of my applications; The hex code break down to Red, Green, Blue, two hexadecimal numbers for each color.

following "borrowed" from Sept 2015 from webpage http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_colors_legal.asp
#p1 {background-color: #ff0000;} /* red */
#p2 {background-color: #00ff00;} /* green */
#p3 {background-color: #0000ff;} /* blue */