[SOLVED] Flickering Pixels on Startup

ASHW001

Honorable
Jul 15, 2014
Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Radeon RX 5700 XT

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), using stock cooler, not over clocking at all.

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max (MS-7B86)

RAM: 16 GB (2x8), in slots 2 and 4, Corsair Vengeance LPX

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G3 80 Plus Gold 650W Fully Modular, 220-G3-0650-Y1

Operating System & Version: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: 26.20.13003.1007

Chipset Drivers: 10.0.18362.1

Background Applications: I have disabled all startup programs.

Description of Original Problem: Recently built my PC, and for the past two days, my monitor has been displaying black pixels on startup. They usually flicker between white, green and black, but are predominately black. They usually disappear after about 30 seconds. I may be crazy, but the issue seems to be getting worse too.

Troubleshooting: Booted in safe mode and issue does not happen (does this mean it’s not an issue with my GPU?). Clean installed all GPU drivers and issue continued (installed 19.9.2, 19.12.1, and 19.9.1) . Tried on a different monitor and issue continued.

1620-B68-E-B4-AC-4667-BC49-92652-DEC310-F.jpg

Solution
Two things to try.
Try another GPU or....
Let the system warm up for a while.
Then shutdown....wait about 5 seconds....and power up.
If the pixels aren't there when you power up when warm.....I think that a component isn't working right when cold.
Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Radeon RX 5700 XT

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), using stock cooler, not over clocking at all.

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max (MS-7B86)

RAM: 16 GB (2x8), in slots 2 and 4, Corsair Vengeance LPX

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G3 80 Plus Gold 650W Fully Modular, 220-G3-0650-Y1

Operating System & Version: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: 26.20.13003.1007

Chipset Drivers: 10.0.18362.1

Background Applications: I have disabled all startup programs.

Description of Original Problem: Recently built my PC, and for the past two days, my monitor has been displaying black pixels on startup. They usually flicker between white, green and black, but are predominately black. They usually disappear after about 30 seconds. I may be crazy, but the issue seems to be getting worse too.

Troubleshooting: Booted in safe mode and issue does not happen (does this mean it’s not an issue with my GPU?). Clean installed all GPU drivers and issue continued (installed 19.9.2, 19.12.1, and 19.9.1) . Tried on a different monitor and issue continued.

1620-B68-E-B4-AC-4667-BC49-92652-DEC310-F.jpg
Just a thought. It may have something to do with the monitor needing to warm up (basically a component in the monitor needing to warm up).
I don't think it's normal....and if it only did it for 30 seconds.....I wouldn't be concerned.....but being that it might be getting worse.....I might start getting concerned.
I would also try the monitor on another machine on the same resolution as your machine (when you see the issue).
I'm thinking you don't see it in safe mode because safe mode is a different resolution and maybe the problem only occurs at your normal resolution.

ASHW001

Honorable
Jul 15, 2014
Just a thought. It may have something to do with the monitor needing to warm up (basically a component in the monitor needing to warm up).
I don't think it's normal....and if it only did it for 30 seconds.....I wouldn't be concerned.....but being that it might be getting worse.....I might start getting concerned.
I would also try the monitor on another machine on the same resolution as your machine (when you see the issue).
I'm thinking you don't see it in safe mode because safe mode is a different resolution and maybe the problem only occurs at your normal resolution.
Well I have tried another monitor and the same flickering pixels happen. Everyone seems to think it has to do with the drivers, but I have installed 3 versions of them and it still hasn't made a difference. I am really just concerned it's a hardware issue. Which would suck, cause the entire rig is brand new.

Well I have tried another monitor and the same flickering pixels happen. Everyone seems to think it has to do with the drivers, but I have installed 3 versions of them and it still hasn't made a difference. I am really just concerned it's a hardware issue. Which would suck, cause the entire rig is brand new.
Well....then we know it's not the monitor.
I hate to say it....but I'm leaning on that it's the GPU.....and may be related to a component that needs to warm up to operate correctly. This is my best guess.
I don't think it's driver related because I don't think they would disappear if it was driver related.

Two things to try.
Try another GPU or....
If the pixels aren't there when you power up when warm.....I think that a component isn't working right when cold.

Solution

ASHW001

Honorable
Jul 15, 2014
Well....then we know it's not the monitor.
I hate to say it....but I'm leaning on that it's the GPU.....and may be related to a component that needs to warm up to operate correctly. This is my best guess.
I don't think it's driver related because I don't think they would disappear if it was driver related.
Damnit. You're probably right.
Two things to try.
Try another GPU or....
Ok. I don't have access to another GPU, so I'll try the second report back momentarily. Thanks so much!

ASHW001

Honorable
Jul 15, 2014
Two things to try.
Try another GPU or....
Still did it. At this point, should I just return the GPU and get it replaced? I'm just concerned the problem will continue with a new GPU.

ASHW001

Honorable
Jul 15, 2014
Two things to try.
Try another GPU or....
Almost forgot, when I installed the oldest drivers I tried (19.9.1) the pixels flickered continuously. Don’t know if that helps at all, but figured I’d mention it.

Still did it. At this point, should I just return the GPU and get it replaced? I'm just concerned the problem will continue with a new GPU.
Well....I'm not super surprised the pixels flickered with a different driver.....but they were still there so I'm still leaning on the GPU.
If it's under warranty I might return it.
At least if you get another GPU and they are still there you know it's not the GPU.....but I'm leaning on that it is.

ASHW001

Honorable
Jul 15, 2014
Well....I'm not super surprised the pixels flickered with a different driver.....but they were still there so I'm still leaning on the GPU.
If it's under warranty I might return it.
At least if you get another GPU and they are still there you know it's not the GPU.....but I'm leaning on that it is.
Yeah it’s what I ended up doing last night. Send it back to Newegg, so hopefully the new one will be soon haha. Thanks so much for the help!