[SOLVED] Flickering.... REALLY grinds my gears........

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Bad quality and I have tried blocking somewhat sensitive information, but you can clearly see the issue here:
View: https://youtu.be/u6Pk8T8rHcM

Specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2070 Super AORUS
16GB TridentZ 3200MHz
ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
and my brand new monitor ASUS VG35VQ

I built this PC like two months ago. Don't recall having issues back then, not sure.

This happened on my previous 60Hz monitor too, but it was way less frequent. Now, depending on what I do, it can get very serious (as seen from the last 10 seconds of the video, me editing in Vegas Pro 14). It seems like this happens more on desktop than in games. I also play VR a lot, no issues in the headset (except for some red artifacts a while ago, fixed by reseating the headset HDMI cable). Screen flickers white/black, fonts and window sizes change until I move my mouse around them... It's really bad.

My GPU is mounted vertically with the CableMod vertical bracket. I thought this could be the issue, but nope. Changing my monitor's settings doesn't seem to help (tried with G-Sync and ELMB on/off). This happens with both DisplayPort and HDMI.

I have every driver up to date, afaik. I tried uninstalling my display adapter in safe mode, no luck.

Anything??? Please??? This is REALLY frustrating, I tried googling solutions but none helped. Is my gpu bad, should I re-install windows??
Please and thank you...

Solution
Seems like it's the only option... Which one is more likely to cause this issue? A bad motherboard or a cpu?

Just wondering which one I should try replacing first.

edit that might help figure it out: I just launched this game, OldSchool RuneScape that uses your CPU instead of your GPU. When I'm in the main menu, it's flickering pretty rapidly. There is an option to turn on GPU rendering, and when I do that, the flickering goes away completely, at least in the main menu. In game, it still occasionally flickers with GPU on, but this seems to be very rare. As soon as I turn the GPU mode off, massive flickering.

edit: scratch that. I had my max processor state set to 99%. After setting it back to 100%, the game flickers really...
Windows just installed and as soon as I got to my desktop, there was some flickering… How do you want me to proceed? Haven't installed a thing yet.
Find out what version of the graphics driver is installed and install the latest release if it's newer. Get and install all the newest drivers for your motherboard directly from the manufacturers website.

Edit - To find the driver version, you can do it a couple ways. If the Nvidia control panel is installed from Windows update, you can just open that, click help at the top and click system information. You could open device manager by clicking start or hitting the start button on your keyboard and typing device man or manager to open device manager. Expand Display adapters and right click your graphics card, click properties and then click the driver tab and look for the driver date. The newest Nvidia driver release was Jan 6th and the two before that were Dec 10th and Nov 26th. The only reason to do this is to find out what version is being installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackington

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Severe flickering. Text changing size and teleporting until I move my cursor on top of it etc. Installed motherboard drivers one by one, none helped. Updated my graphics card driver (was from 2006) to January 6th, didn't help. Installing Windows updates now, doubt they will help...

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Note, my current power plan is AMD Balanced, where the maximum processor state is set to 100%. If I were to change it to 99%, the flickering would pretty much stop, but there would still be some flickering from time to time, mostly when gaming. I don't know what this has to do with my problem, but lowering the value by 1% seems to do a lot. I've tried setting it to like 60% as well, but it didn't make any difference when compared to 99%.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
I feel like it's safe to say this is a hardware related issue. At least it shouldn't be the gpu since I tried it with and without a riser cable, and I also tried a perfectly working GTX 1070, which was the most expensive part obviously. So that's good. Can it be the cpu? RAM? My SSD? Should I try to install Windows on a different drive? If not then surely there is something wrong with the motherboard.

I feel like it's safe to say this is a hardware related issue. At least it shouldn't be the gpu since I tried it with and without a riser cable, and I also tried a perfectly working GTX 1070, which was the most expensive part obviously. So that's good. Can it be the cpu? RAM? My SSD? Should I try to install Windows on a different drive? If not then surely there is something wrong with the motherboard.
So you have tried more than one GPU and monitor so far right and still have the same problems. The only other things I can think of at the moment are you have some kind of vsync issue in the Nvidia control panel or possibly the power outlet you are using has some kind of issue and you should try a different outlet. First, make sure your global setting for V-Sync is set to off in 3d settings as a test and if it doesn't help, try another power outlet. You may want to try another monitor cable. Your new monitor also supports 100hz refresh rate, but you may need a DisplayPort cable to use if your HDMI cables don't work at 100hz.

Last edited:
They already mentioned testing with both a DisplayPort and HDMI cable, so it shouldn't be the cable.

I am suspecting it's probably related to the motherboard. It might be a higher-end board, but a motherboard contains a lot of components, so there are a lot of things that could potentially go wrong with one. It might be a defect of some component on that particular board that didn't show up when they were testing it during the manufacturing process. A defective CPU might also be possible (maybe something with the IO chip), though that seems less likely.

Maybe some problems with the PCI-e slot on the motherboard?
Have you tested installing the card in another PCIe slot? Maybe try each of the x16 slots, as some will be controlled by the CPU, and others by the motherboard chipset. You generally want your card connected to the first slot, but testing other slots might potentially help determine where the problem lies.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
They already mentioned testing with both a DisplayPort and HDMI cable, so it shouldn't be the cable.

I am suspecting it's probably related to the motherboard. It might be a higher-end board, but a motherboard contains a lot of components, so there are a lot of things that could potentially go wrong with one. It might be a defect of some component on that particular board that didn't show up when they were testing it during the manufacturing process. A defective CPU might also be possible (maybe something with the IO chip), though that seems less likely.

Have you tested installing the card in another PCIe slot? Maybe try each of the x16 slots, as some will be controlled by the CPU, and others by the motherboard chipset. You generally want your card connected to the first slot, but testing other slots might potentially help determine where the problem lies.
Yep as I said, I tried a few HDMI/DisplayPort cables as well as different refresh rates with them. V-Sync is turned OFF in the Control Panel.

I used DDU in safe mode and switched to the GTX 1070, my problem sill persist. Tried the second PCI-e slot with it, still flickering.

As for the new monitor, I've decided to return it. I didn't use it much, but enough to determine it wasn't good enough for me. My eyes didn't like it, and it had some defects (bright spots in the middle etc, and possibly one dead pixel).

Thanks both of you for the comments.

edit: I was also instructed to try the onboard graphics without a gpu. I tried with a HDMI cable. The PC kept rebooting and I didn't get any signal on my monitor.

another edit: Worth mentioning? I was also experiencing the flickering while in safe mode.

Last edited:

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
RMA the motherboard and CPU.
Seems like it's the only option... Which one is more likely to cause this issue? A bad motherboard or a cpu?

edit that might help figure it out: I just launched this game, OldSchool RuneScape that uses your CPU instead of your GPU. When I'm in the main menu, it's flickering pretty rapidly. There is an option to turn on GPU rendering, and when I do that, the flickering goes away completely, at least in the main menu. In game, it still occasionally flickers with GPU on, but this seems to be very rare. As soon as I turn the GPU mode off, massive flickering.

edit: scratch that. I had my max processor state set to 99%. After setting it back to 100%, the game flickers really badly either way. Probably should try a new motherboard first then?

Last edited:

edit: scratch that. I had my max processor state set to 99%. After setting it back to 100%, the game flickers really badly either way. Probably should try a new motherboard first then?
That makes me think it's a CPU issue. IMO

Solution

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Can't even play VR anymore. A few weeks ago it was fine, but now it's impossible because it's flickering inside the headset as well and I keep moving on my own and stuff... Will hopefully replace either the cpu or motherboard this week.

Hmm alright... Thank you. We'll see. I'll try to do something about this and will eventually update this thread, again. Feel free to continue posting if you have possible solutions, checking this thread numerous times a day.
Before you RMA the motherboard, check inside the PCIE 16x slot your GPU is installed. I got word this morning from a friend who had a similar issue a few years back. He discovered there was some kind debris in the slot that must have got in there when upgrading his GPU. All he needed to do was clean it out with canned air and a thin brush (could probably use a tooth brush.) The system apparently has been working fine since cleaning it, but this doesn't mean it's the same issue as yours.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Before you RMA the motherboard, check inside the PCIE 16x slot your GPU is installed. I got word this morning from a friend who had a similar issue a few years back. He discovered there was some kind debris in the slot that must have got in there when upgrading his GPU. All he needed to do was clean it out with canned air and a thin brush (could probably use a tooth brush.) The system apparently has been working fine since cleaning it, but this doesn't mean it's the same issue as yours.
Thank you I'll be sure to check as soon as possible. Highly doubt this is the case because I tried both of the slots, but you never know I guess.

Thank you I'll be sure to check as soon as possible. Highly doubt this is the case because I tried both of the slots, but you never know I guess.
Well since it was in both slots it's unlikely to be debris. So as said before by others, you should RMA the motherboard first. I kind of doubt it's the CPU unless it has a bent pin that is just enough to cause a problem or possibly defective. I should really go back and rereard posts on these longer threads.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Well since it was in both slots it's unlikely to be debris. So as said before by others, you should RMA the motherboard first. I kind of doubt it's the CPU unless it has a bent pin that is just enough to cause a problem or possibly defective. I should really go back and rereard posts on these longer threads.
Yeah this thread has been quite a mess, sorry about that. Been posting updates that I feel like could help, some might've been unnecessary though. I'll probably call technical support of the store I bought the motherboard from tomorrow before RMAing the board just to see what they say. Thank you so much.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
I tried turning off Core Performance Boost and Precision Boost Overdrive in my bios and did a benchmark test, doesn't look too bad. In case I have to keep this processor for some reason. I know it's just one game (World War Z), and at 1080p (my next monitor will be 1440p) but still.

CPB and PBO on:
FPS max 223, avg 154, min 126
GPU load % max 87, avg 82, min 77
Frame score 9163

CPB and PBO off:
FPS max 222, avg 148, min 120
GPU load % max 84, 79, 73
Frame score 8832

With both turned off the flickering has been minimal even at 100% maximum processor state, but it's still happening a little at times. Currently waiting for a reply and instructions regarding the rma.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Was just watching Netflix for a few hours while playing a lightweight game on the side and suddenly my pc started freezing and lagging randomly. Went to my desktop with windows+d and slowly but surely used my keyboard to restart the pc (mouse was so unresponsive it was easier with a keyboard. Didn't want to force shut down so I waited for like 5 mins but since nothing was happening I clicked my power button and the pc shut down, this also took a good 30 seconds. I restarted my pc but shut it down before logging in and then switched off my psu and disconnected the power cord for a minute because I felt like it. Turned everything back on and it works fine again.

I'm going to buy a brand new processor this week and try it in my system. If it doesn't fix the flickering then it MUST be the motherboard like a few people have been saying. Then I'll just sell the spare processor to someone in need.

I was also told to try my system with one ram stick at a time (have 2x8gb) but that didn't change anything.

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Update time! I bought a new, same processor I already had, the Ryzen 5 3600. Installation was frustrating but I got it. Guess what, the flickering is gone! So far, at least...! All good when using High Performance, though I will be using Balanced as it's recommended. Have to re-download Vegas 14, currently doing just that, as it was flickering A LOT previously. That will be the true test. Already tried Malwarebytes and it was beautiful. I would like to keep this thread open for about a month or so, that's how long I had my previous processor. I will keep testing, playing games and will update if the flickering comes back (fingers crossed it doesn't). I returned the VG35VQ and am using my old monitor, GN246HL at 60Hz via a HDMI cable. Getting a new 1440p monitor by the end of this month, hope the flickering stays gone.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated. Will keep you posted if needed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.