Flickering screen, freezes at login (sometimes after), new build was working successfully last week

Raliont

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Recently built this pc but with 1 8gb memory stick instead of the 2 I have now. Last week the PC was running 8.1 successfully (was able to play games without any trouble). After installing the new ram (2x4gb), PC has had nothing but issues. Was able to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 thinking this might fix the issue. However, I keep experiencing a flickering screen at login and after login, computer will freeze at login and then just hang. PC also will sometimes allow me anywhere from 10seconds to 10 minutes of time on the desktop before freezing and hanging or flickering black screen and then solid black screen while still running. Sometimes it will run in safe mode, other times it will just hang at the MSI opening screen. Other points the screen will flicker and then come back (only to freeze later). I have cleaned out the drivers and reinstalled multiple times. Ran PC repair but still no use. Wondering if it may be a hardware issue. Was hoping to test the graphics driver by downloading Heaven Benchmark but PC is unable to download it entirely before crashing. Have also tried leaving it unplugged for 24 hours.

I have noticed that Antimalware executable in Task Manager eats up significant CPU and Memory (sometimes 80%+), which is when it crashes (sometimes). Temperatures (checked in bios) are 37-38 C. I did install malwarebytes but after PC crashes, the app disappears and requires another download.
Also, removed the GPU and tried to boot PC only to have it hang at MSI.

Tried installing the old ram but the issues persist. PC is virtually unusable. Very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tKqvd6
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 3.20 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151, 6MB Cache [BX80662I56500]
Mobo: MSI Intel Skylake H110 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 Mini ITX Motherboard (H110I Pro)
Memory: HyperX Fury 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400 RAM (Desktop Memory) CL15 1.2V XMP Black DIMM (288-Pin) Sleeved HX424C15FBK2/8-SLV
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) with Read Up To 550MB/s- SDSSDHII-240G-G25
HDD: WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (GV-N1060IXOC-3GD)
PSU: SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply SSR-550RM

Update bios in bios itself. Do not flash in windows!

check if the video card and other connectors are still connected tightly. Cooler still correctly in place of the cpu?
reset BIOS / clear cmos

boot with memtest86+ on an usb flash drive

use ddu uninstaller to remove the nvidia driver and reinstall the latest from nvidia.com

check SSD with sandisks tool

check event manager of windows, any warnings and errors?

check temperature with coretemp

run intel processor diagnostics tool

where are the two new sticks installed? Which Dimm Slots?
reinstall the old RAM

Raliont

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Thanks for the response, helpstar.

I just built the PC 2 weeks ago with brand new parts; would I need to update the BIOS?

I have reset the BIOS multiple times.

I have also used DDU uninstaller and done a clean install in safe mode with nvidia.

The RAM is installed in the only two slots available. I also have already tried reinstalling the old RAM - still no luck. :(

I will try your other suggestions when I get home, but as of last night I am no longer able to boot into safe mode.

I should also mention that in the BIOS screens, my SSD and HDD will be recognized on the system screen but are not selections on the UEFI Boot List (despite having Windows 8.1/10 enabled under OS Configuration). However, not sure if this matters as Windows 10 boots successfully anyway.

Jared_31

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016

Sounds more like a software issue to me. You say you can successfully boot into windows 10? are you running multiboot then?

Raliont

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Jared_31,

I can successfully boot into Windows 10 (which is installed on my SSD), but actually being able to do anything once logged in (if it even allows me to get that far) is a different story since it typically will freeze at the login screen.

I'm hoping it is a software issue - but I am soooooo frustrated since I have yet to figure out what's wrong.

I tried booting without the GPU attached and it just hangs at the MSI screen.
Not sure what multiboot is - do not believe I am running it lol

Jared_31

Commendable
Nov 22, 2016

Oh my mistake i thought you said you couldnt boot into windows 8.1 for some reason but could into windows 10 sorry i didnt read that correctly. As far as loading in to windows 10 are you able to reboot into advanced options via restarting the computer with the restart option in the bottom right when you first loadin and holding shift? from there you could try to do a system restore or just a windows refresh for that matter

Raliont

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I am able to do the restore, but have reinstalled the OS since experiencing this issue and not confident the restores are still there but I will check.

Raliont

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Well, I'm not sure what has happened but my PC was working fine after getting it to prioritize the mobo's own display adapter instead of the GPU's (you know, other than the mouse shadows). When I noticed the mobo's default display adapter was what was recognized in Device Manager, I scanned for hardware changes and it found the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 (apparently folks have experienced similar issues with this GPU: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4yngr0/gtx_1060_any_graphics_intensive_program_causes/). After that, I again started experiencing the same symptoms that brought me to this forum. SO, I purchased a new GPU, installed it and everything seems to be working fine thus far. No more mouse shadows or flickering black screen or freezing or etc. I will keep you posted. I also plan on running the memtest over the weekend just to make sure.

But, at this time, I am able to play games and actually use my PC again.