Question Flickering textures - mostly shadows and foilage like bushes and trees. Happens in every game

justxjack

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Here is an example video:
View: https://youtu.be/LJBxj9ufobs

For the best example, head to 0:24 seconds, where you can see both the trees and their shadows flickering. Note that when I select a character and let the camera follow them the issue get exacerbated. I can provide an example of this if needed.

Here is another video in Bannerlord:

View: https://youtu.be/psKsihZUwIk

Here my specs:
Windows 10
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Sapphire)
Intel Core i5 9600k
16GB 3200mhz RAM
MPG Z390 Gaming plus

Things I have tried:

1. Different shadows options + different resolutions
2. Radeon Super Resolution
3. Virtual Super Resolution
4. I have also tried nearly all options of Aliasing both within the game and within the Radeon Adrenaline software.
5. I am on the lastest drivers. And have DDU'd them.
6. I even tried running the game through Vulkan via DXVK, no dice

I am at a loss on how to fix this, it's kinda ruining gaming for me. And with games like Kenshi the only solution seems to be to disable shadows altogether. But even then foliage keeps flickering anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited:
I have no clue regarding the first game, but I presume for Bannerlord you might have tweaked the "Shadow setting" in Graphics as well ?

For Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord look for the
"Shadow Type" option and change this value to STATIC or even completely OFF/None. Sometimes shadow flicker if we enable both the static and dynamic shadow types.

For Bannerlord this "Shadow Type" setting is also the MOST demanding and resource hungry graphics option. Has a huge impact on overall FPS as well.

Shadow Type (CPU, GPU) setting is basically the amount of shadows calculated by CPU, and then the results are sent to the GPU for further rendering. Dynamic shadows by the way are highly computationally expensive, so it will have a larger performance impact than static shadows.

justxjack

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
I have no clue regarding the first game, but I presume for Bannerlord you might have tweaked the "Shadow setting" in Graphics as well ?

For Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord look for the
"Shadow Type" option and change this value to STATIC or even completely OFF/None. Sometimes shadow flicker if we enable both the static and dynamic shadow types.

For Bannerlord this "Shadow Type" setting is also the MOST demanding and resource hungry graphics option. Has a huge impact on overall FPS as well.

Shadow Type (CPU, GPU) setting is basically the amount of shadows calculated by CPU, and then the results are sent to the GPU for further rendering. Dynamic shadows by the way are highly computationally expensive, so it will have a larger performance impact than static shadows.
Thank you for responding. However, performance is not my issue. It's true that turning on Dynamic shadows is demanding but the overworld feels very bland without them, in my opinion. I would highly prefer to have them on, to the point where I don't even want to play the game if the shadows behave like this, and don't want to play without the shadows. You understand my conundrum I hope.

RandomArmor

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Hey man did you ever get a fix to this? I'm experiencing similar issues on my own rig in literally every game I own except it's 10x worse.