Flickering White Dots on Screen

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Hello.
I've built a new gaming PC. Having some issues with display.

For starters my PC is https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/6Xbmbj, and I have an ASUS 1080ti OC for quick reference.

I have my PC hooked up to a TV at the moment with a HDMI cable going into the GPU. Everything was good until I installed the GPU drivers. Once I installed the drivers I got all these flickering white dots on my screen which are most obvious on dark backgrounds. I tried uninstalling the drivers and behold the dots disappeared. I installed the drivers again and the problem returned. I am installing the drivers directly from ASUS homepage and they are the latest (V 388.13). The HDMI cable I'm using is fine because I tested it on two laptops and both work fine. The TV is fine because it works with all my consoles and laptops. The dots do disappear when I switch the HDMI from the GPU to the motherboard at the back of the pc and they return as soon as I put the HDMI back into the GPU. I have downloaded GPU Tweak II from ASUS and the temperatures are good, at 39ish degrees Celsius. I took a screen shot and the dots showed up on the screen shot, I have attached the image. I have also taken out the GPU and reinstalled it to make sure it was clicked in all the way and have looked at the cables and pins and everything looks good.

How do I fix this issue. I hope it isn't the GPU itself. From what I've read on the forums, if the dots appear on the screenshot it most likely is related to software. I just don't know what I can try now.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/lilayZee/gpu_zpsr7syrk9z.jpg

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I uninstalled the drivers I installed from the ASUS homepage. I went to the Nvidia website and downloaded and installed the drivers they had to offer. It was a much newer version, V 388.59. Still same issue though. The resolution is set to the native setting and my TV doesn't have a PC mode. Stumped.

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
The TV is a 46 inch LED with a full HD resolution, 1920x1080p. I haven't tried a different HDMI cable but I did plug it into two different laptops and it works with both of them and the HDMI cable works when I plug it into the motherboard HDMI slot on the PC, it just wont work with the GPU HDMI slot.

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Its got 2 HDMI ports. I just tried the other one and it didn't work either. I have already taken out the GPU and put it back in and it didn't fix the issue.

I actually just used another HDMI cable I have and all the dots disappeared. The HDMI cable I was using prior was a 10m cable of low quality and I put in a 1m higher quality HDMI in and all the dots have disappeared.

Thanks for taking the time to give me so many suggestions.

lilayzee

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Well I got the long HDMI cable on ebay from hong kong for like 50 bucks because the ones here in Australia that were 10m were hundreds of dollars, this was around 6 years ago. It was fine for my laptop but I guess the HDMI cable can't process the output from the GPU properly. The HDMI cable that worked was one I got free with my Nintendo Switch haha. I don't really know much about the specs on HDMI cables. I will be getting a monitor soon so using my TV with the HDMI is just a temporary solution anyways.