Flight Simulator X's potential performance on Intel Haswell CPU Question

G

I may have asked this question on a thread awhile back, but couldn't find it on my profile.

I plan to build a gaming/home theater PC this July after Intel fixes its USB 3.0 issue with Haswell. Besides gaming and home entertainment, I will also be running Flight Simulator X since I am studying to become a pilot. My understanding is that FSX can be more demanding in terms of computing power than games. Currently I am leaning toward an i5-4670 (I have no intention of overclocking). My question is would FSX benefit or perform better with hyperthreading with an i5-4770 or would the i5-4670 be sufficient?

Also, My dad is offering his Sharp Quattron 3D LC-60LE835U LED TV as the monitor. My plan was to buy a new LED TV with a 120 Hz refresh rate and use it for both the gaming PC that I build this summer and the next gaming PC that I build to replace it in two or three years. Overall my plan is to use an LED TV for a monitor for four to six years before replacing it. Even though the Sharp TV is almost two years old, it has a 240 Hz refresh rate and I plan to use THX-certified Monster Cable HDMI cables to connect between the graphics card and TV. Would this TV last me four to six years as a PC monitor for games like the Mass Effect and Cyisis trilogies or could the graphics technology change before then and the TV becomes some sort of graphics bottleneck?

Thanks

Monster cables are overpriced and unneeded, any cheap cable even up to 15m is fine.

The haswell usb3 problem is only a problem if you plan on using s3 sleep mode ie sleep mode.

spend the money you would on the monster cable and get x plane 10 for 70 dollars, it is used in professional flight simulators and you can buy it under a home use license if your planning on becoming a pilot, its more up to date than flight simulator x, has maps of real locations over all of the globe (60GB worth) and has a 64bit executable so is not memory and performance limited like fsx.

and flight simulator x does not benefit from hyper-threading.

120Hz monitors and 120 Hz HDTVs do not operate the same way.

A 120Hz monitor accepts two 60HZ inputs either with dual-linked DVI, HDMI 1.4b or DisplayPort. each 60Hz connection can receive up to 60FPS for a total of 120FPS input. It is then outputted on the screen at up to 120FPS assuming your rig is powerful enough.

120Hz HDTVs only accepts 60Hz input. 3D HDTV is only accepts 48Hz input for 3D video streams. Basically the HDTV uses it's electronics to double the input video stream so that it can output up to 120 FPS. This is primarily for smooth video playback of videos recorded using 24 FPS (such as movies) because 60Hz is not easily divisible by 24 FPS (i.e. not a whole number). But 120Hz can be easily divided by 24 FPS.

The HDTV creates extra frames using video interpolation in between every two actual from the video source (i.e. graphics card) a hybrid frame is created. This causes a little bit of input lag in video games. Therefore, it is recommended you put your HDTV in "Gaming Mode" if it has such an option. Otherwise manually switch the HDTV to 60Hz mode (same as "Gaming Mode").

3D basically works for movies recorded at 24 FPS. The reason why 3D HDTVs only uses 48Hz for 3D movies is because 24 FPS is for one and another 24 FPS is for the other eye. While the 3D HDTV does display 48 FPS you will only actually only see 24 FPS because your brain combines the frames each eye sees separately to create a 3D image.