[SOLVED] Flip computer monitor on a hardware level (as opposed to through software)?

MrHakisak

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Hello,
my monitor is an Acer Predator X34GS, love it a lot. I have it flipped upside down so it allows me to lower the monitor all the way down until it touches the desk, flipped it back with nvidia control panel and everything is fine.

the problem:
I'm running into issues where games/software like shadowplay's saved videos are all upside-down, I can always rotate them with media players hotkeys but its a pain (using mpc-be). but I'm also running into issues with Moonlight streaming and also my BIOS (my overclock is stable to I don't need to go there often).

Suggestions:
is there such thing as an inline display-port device that can flip the signal on a hardware level? one that will work outside of windows (although I'd be happy if it just worked within windows).

Monitor: Acer Predator X34GS (running g-sync through freesync at 3440x1440@144hz 10bit sRGB HDR-OFF).
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid.
Mobo: Z390 Aorus Master

-any suggestions appreciated.

Solution
....Probably not. And if there is, the chance of the person knowing it exists and where to get it seeing your thread is microscopically small at best. If your monitor doesn't allow you to do this in the OSD then I'm afraid you're out of luck. If it would exist it's either going to be extremely expensive or dirt cheap (and probably mess with your image quality).

My advice would be to raise your screen. It takes some getting used to, I know because I used to have my monitor in the lowest possible position as well. But now that I've grown used to it, it's uncomfortable to have to look that far down. Also, in the long run, your neck and shoulders will thank you.
....Probably not. And if there is, the chance of the person knowing it exists and where to get it seeing your thread is microscopically small at best. If your monitor doesn't allow you to do this in the OSD then I'm afraid you're out of luck. If it would exist it's either going to be extremely expensive or dirt cheap (and probably mess with your image quality).

My advice would be to raise your screen. It takes some getting used to, I know because I used to have my monitor in the lowest possible position as well. But now that I've grown used to it, it's uncomfortable to have to look that far down. Also, in the long run, your neck and shoulders will thank you.

Solution

MrHakisak

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013

thank you for replying, at least I know something like that probably doesn't exist. I checked through the monitor OSD and there is no option to flip. I might look into getting a monitor arm again.
-thanks again.

Frames are transmitted one line at a time from top to bottom, so a device that flips the image would need to wait until the entire frame has been transmitted, and then begin drawing the image from back to front. So the entire image pipeline would be delayed by 1 frame.