flooded laptop not working any longer

kellogs

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Hello,

This laptop has not been started some 2 weeks after the flood. After this time I have taken it apart, blew it dry with a hair drier and put it back together. Not much moisture left. Anyway, after attempting to boot it up I got this screen:

EHHTEjr.jpg

and no keyboard / touchpad input. Also tried an USB keyboard that did not work and another CR2032 battery with the same results. Now what...

Thanks!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Did it get totally submerged in water? Did you disconnect the keyboard and touch pad and check their connections for water? But that still doesn't explain why USB is not working. It is likely still a bit wet on the inside, turning it on may have shorted and permanently damaged something. I would pull it apart again and put it in front of a fan for at least a few days then try again.

kellogs

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Actually I have noticed that I did not connect the keyboard ribbon cable back to the mainboard :D. Done that and I was able to get past the "press enter to set date/time screen". Rebooted and it did not show up again. Also tested a mouse and an USB stick on the USB ports and they worked fine. Nice! Perhaps it is the ferrite beads / whatever my keyboard's cord has in it that could be causing some trouble with this laptop ?
And another issue - about one third of the keys on the laptop's built in keyboard are dead. Should I suspect the water that dripped right over the keyboard or an indentation that I have put in the ribbon cable with a screw while attempting to re-assemble the laptop ?