floppy disk error (40)

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

this started after watching a dvd, it seems for some reason, don't know why,
but the movie would not finish, system froze, had to reboot several times,
then, I started getting this message, floppy disk error (40). up until this,
no problems with the floppy.

i've tried several different floppies, different cables, put them in
backwards, forwards, upside down, different this, different that, but to no
avail.

can anyone tell me what the hell went wrong......................and how do
I correct it. i can NOT get rid of this error.

thanks

jad

your cmos battery failed and now the floppy is not described properly
in bios?

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> this started after watching a dvd, it seems for some reason, don't
know why,
> but the movie would not finish, system froze, had to reboot several
times,
> then, I started getting this message, floppy disk error (40). up
until this,
> no problems with the floppy.
>
> i've tried several different floppies, different cables, put them in
> backwards, forwards, upside down, different this, different that,
but to no
> avail.
>
> can anyone tell me what the hell went wrong......................and
how do
> I correct it. i can NOT get rid of this error.
>
> thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

JAD,
Wouldn't I get other error messages if the batter failed. All I'm getting it
the floppy error and the floppy won't work.
thanks

George wrote:

> JAD,
> Wouldn't I get other error messages if the batter failed. All I'm getting it
> the floppy error and the floppy won't work.

Possibly but it's easy enough to find out. Simply go into BIOS and see if
it's configured for the right kind of floppy.

> thanks
>

> JAD <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>your cmos battery failed and now the floppy is not described properly
>>in bios?
>>
>>"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>this started after watching a dvd, it seems for some reason, don't
>>
>>know why,
>>
>>>but the movie would not finish, system froze, had to reboot several
>>
>>times,
>>
>>>then, I started getting this message, floppy disk error (40). up
>>
>>until this,
>>
>>>no problems with the floppy.
>>>
>>>i've tried several different floppies, different cables, put them in
>>>backwards, forwards, upside down, different this, different that,
>>
>>but to no
>>
>>>avail.
>>>
>>>can anyone tell me what the hell went wrong......................and
>>
>>how do
>>
>>>I correct it. i can NOT get rid of this error.
>>>
>>>thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

JAD,
Nope, not the battery, any other ideas?
thanks

JAD <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> your cmos battery failed and now the floppy is not described properly
> in bios?
>
> "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > this started after watching a dvd, it seems for some reason, don't
> know why,
> > but the movie would not finish, system froze, had to reboot several
> times,
> > then, I started getting this message, floppy disk error (40). up
> until this,
> > no problems with the floppy.
> >
> > i've tried several different floppies, different cables, put them in
> > backwards, forwards, upside down, different this, different that,
> but to no
> > avail.
> >
> > can anyone tell me what the hell went wrong......................and
> how do
> > I correct it. i can NOT get rid of this error.
> >
> > thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

It's configured ok. Sometimes it would work other times it would not. Now,
it's not working at all.
Any other ideas. I'm getting ready to just junk the thing.
thanks,
George

George wrote:

> It's configured ok. Sometimes it would work other times it would not. Now,
> it's not working at all.
> Any other ideas. I'm getting ready to just junk the thing.
> thanks,
> George

Well, when you said you tried other "floppies" I wasn't sure if you meant
drives or diskettes.

If you haven't tried another floppy drive then try one. If you have then
break the system down to the bare minimum, and I mean get the CD and DVD
drives off it too, and see if it works then. Because I HAVE seen IDE
problems affect the floppy controller.

> It's configured ok. Sometimes it would work other times it would not. Now,
> it's not working at all.
> Any other ideas. I'm getting ready to just junk the thing.
> thanks,
> George
>

> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > George wrote:
> >
> > > JAD,
> > > Wouldn't I get other error messages if the batter failed. All I'm
> getting it
> > > the floppy error and the floppy won't work.
> >
> > Possibly but it's easy enough to find out. Simply go into BIOS and see
if
> > it's configured for the right kind of floppy.
> >

> > > thanks
> > >

> > > JAD <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message

I had this problem about a month ago on my older computer. Did a Google
search on the problem and found theirs a system file that can get corrupted.
Can't remember the name of the file and was unable to get it without
searching. Since I was ready to reinstall the O/S anyway, thats what I did.
After the reinstall the floppy was operational again.

HTH..............happy Googling.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Well, if I can't get the floppy to work, then doing a reinstall won't work,
I need a floppy for the reinstall.

George wrote:
> Well, if I can't get the floppy to work, then doing a reinstall won't work,
> I need a floppy for the reinstall.

Unless you're running windows 3.1 or a floppy install of win95 you would do
an 'upgrade', not a fresh install, from the CD anyway (meaning invoking it
with windows running). And even if doing a fresh install the CD should be
bootable.

On all newer versions of windows the boot floppy is there for only if you
have an older system that won't boot from the CD drive.

As a tip: on NT4/Win2K/XP, if you copy the \i386 folder from the CD to the
hard drive you can not only do the upgrade from the hard drive (run winnt32
in the i386 folder) but it will go a lot faster and you will not need to
keep the CD handy when installing/removing features/drivers as the install
files will be on the hard drive. Same thing with win95/98 if you copy the
win95/win98 folder to the hard drive (setup from the win95/win98 folder).

In win98 systems check the \windows\options\cabs folder before making a new
\win98 because some OEM versions automatically copy the setup CAB files
there and you wouldn't need a second copy.

> Well, if I can't get the floppy to work, then doing a reinstall won't
work,
> I need a floppy for the reinstall.
>

> T Shadow <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > It's configured ok. Sometimes it would work other times it would not.
> Now,
> > > it's not working at all.
> > > Any other ideas. I'm getting ready to just junk the thing.
> > > thanks,
> > > George
> > >

> > > David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message

> > > getting it

> > if

> properly

> in

> wrong......................and

> > I had this problem about a month ago on my older computer. Did a Google
> > search on the problem and found theirs a system file that can get
> corrupted.
> > Can't remember the name of the file and was unable to get it without
> > searching. Since I was ready to reinstall the O/S anyway, thats what I
> did.
> > After the reinstall the floppy was operational again.
> >
> > HTH..............happy Googling.

All you need is the file. It should be obtainable on the web or from Windows
itself. I was just already going to reinstall the O/S.

Unless the computer is really old you can boot from a bootable CD-R. The
computer I put the O/S on is a 300mhz PII and it can boot from CD.

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> I had this problem about a month ago on my older computer. Did a Google
> search on the problem and found theirs a system file that can get
corrupted.
> Can't remember the name of the file and was unable to get it without
> searching. Since I was ready to reinstall the O/S anyway, thats what I
did.
> After the reinstall the floppy was operational again.
>
> HTH..............happy Googling.

Floppy Disk Error (40) is a bios error, how in the hell does this have to do
with a file on the hard drive I will never know. Use some logic please.

Now swapping out parts to find what makes the floppy fail is the best
option. It could be a defective IDE drive, it could be a failed floppy
controller on the motherboard, but a damaged file? I don't think so.

"Phlexor" <phlexor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > I had this problem about a month ago on my older computer. Did a Google
> > search on the problem and found theirs a system file that can get
> corrupted.
> > Can't remember the name of the file and was unable to get it without
> > searching. Since I was ready to reinstall the O/S anyway, thats what I
> did.
> > After the reinstall the floppy was operational again.
> >
> > HTH..............happy Googling.
>
> Floppy Disk Error (40) is a bios error, how in the hell does this have to
do
> with a file on the hard drive I will never know. Use some logic please.
>
> Now swapping out parts to find what makes the floppy fail is the best
> option. It could be a defective IDE drive, it could be a failed floppy
> controller on the motherboard, but a damaged file? I don't think so.

Your absolutely right. Now I'll lay awake tonight wondering how I fixed the
PC.