Floppy disk error! HELP!

denali83

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
I just recently purchased a new hard drive and tried to install it. In doing so, I unplugged the cables from the old hard drive and the floppy drive in order to screw the new hard drive in; I have an Antec 1080 case. I swapped the cables from the old hard drive to the new one, and put the floppy cables back in. However, when I booted up I got an error message, Floppy disk(s) fail (40) and I can't boot up into windows. I then tried to boot up from the old hard drive, and I get the same error message. I've checked the floppy cables countless times and they're in okay.

The kicker is, when I put a boot disk into the floppy drive, windows starts up fine. Does anyone know a possible solution or know what the problem is? My new hard drive is just sitting idle in my drive bay *sigh*

BTW, I have the latest bios, and I'm running WinXP Pro. Thanks.

89toes

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
em dont mean to sound silly but it is possible that the lead is the wrong way about.. check the pins.
Honest Ive done it so many times..

svol

Champion
Check in your BIOS if your Floppy is set as boot device... then put your HD on the first place and it should be gone.

My CPU runs so hot the arctic silver undergoes nuclear fusion :eek: .