Floppy Diskette Seek Failure, How do you fix the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhopps

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hello, I have a problem with the pc not booting up, the error say's Floppy Diskette Seek Failure, press F2 to continue, F12 for boot menu. There is no floppy drive in the pc. What is the problem and how do you fix it???

Thank You.

troastbot

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
hey there, in case someone still has the same problem and is looking for a solution: i had the same problem (dell xps710) and in my case something was wrong with the raid-configuration. if you hit f1 to continue and get a message saying "missing operating system" its probably the same with you. enter bios and switch raid-configuration on for both your harddisks (320gb each), should be working now.

jaicerene

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
When I strike f1 its telling me there is a disk read error and th press ctrl alt delete, but then the process starts all over again, I can not get it on at all, someone please help me

vinay69

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

injafo nee aka pc afoinhu tikonMO XIUON YUIOHJ djnsdfg sslfifn yuitnfhg ffbfjb f5 f7 f8 f0 f0 f0 f0

didn fufbvb fisz uniojh tyuin

JimJammer

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
floppy diskette failure is not limited to the floppy disk drive. It's just telling you that your drive is not being recognized. Meaning your hard drive is either dead like mine is, or a cable came loose from the hard drive.

I get the same message, and the choices for F1 to continue, F2 for setup or F5 for system diagnostic. Run the system diagnostic and one of the first things that will be tested is your hard drive. If it says NO HARD DRIVE DETECTED or TEST RESULTS NOT APPLICABLE then you have a problem with your hard drive.

I also went out and bought a USB SATA docking station. I took the hard drive out of the affected computer and put it in the docking station which is attached to my other computer. The USB connection shows up in the systray but when I got to MY COMPUTER it is not there.

Also, when going into BIOS even though the drive is dead it will still show up because there is a small file in the drive that contains the drives manufacturing information. But you might notice that where it says SIZE OF DRIVE it will say UNKNOWN. IF this is so, the drive is dead.

If you need info off the drive, you can try putting the hard drive in the freezer for 20 minutes, sometimes this helps cool off the hard drive part that has failed and allows it to work for a short time. Good luck. Replace the drive..

JimJammer

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I posted this down a few lines but I wanted to make sure you saw this.

floppy diskette failure is not limited to the floppy disk drive. It's just telling you that your drive is not being recognized. Meaning your hard drive is either dead like mine is, or a cable came loose from the hard drive.

I get the same message, and the choices for F1 to continue, F2 for setup or F5 for system diagnostic. Run the system diagnostic and one of the first things that will be tested is your hard drive. If it says NO HARD DRIVE DETECTED or TEST RESULTS NOT APPLICABLE then you have a problem with your hard drive.

I also went out and bought a USB SATA docking station. I took the hard drive out of the affected computer and put it in the docking station which is attached to my other computer. The USB connection shows up in the systray but when I got to MY COMPUTER it is not there.

Also, when going into BIOS even though the drive is dead it will still show up because there is a small file in the drive that contains the drives manufacturing information. But you might notice that where it says SIZE OF DRIVE it will say UNKNOWN. IF this is so, the drive is dead.

If you need info off the drive, you can try putting the hard drive in the freezer for 20 minutes, sometimes this helps cool off the hard drive part that has failed and allows it to work for a short time. Good luck. Replace the drive..

Status
Not open for further replies.