Floppy problem

G

I recently removed everything from my computer to swap cases (only to realise the new case was too small), but now my floppy drive won't work. The light is always on, and if I insert a floppy and try to explore it, Windows says "insert disk in A:". I can't boot from a floppy either. The ribbon is connected the right way, ditto the power cord. The only thing different is the power supply. What did I do wrong?

Try the floppy cable in different ways. There are four possible combinations. Have you tried them all?

I know you say it's on right, but it's a common mistake everyone has made.

Failing that, try another cable or drive.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

G

OK, I'll try that, though I'm wondering about something. I didn't remove the one on the motherboard, so that one is right, leaving two possibilities for the other end. But, floppy ribbons have a third end (well, like IDE ones...), so, should it be the middle or the end connector which I should attach to the floppy drive?

Yep. Definitely the end connector.

I had a pal who had the same problem. It turned out that due to a lack of use, the floppy drive had packed in. If you've tried everything else, it may be this.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

G

Success!

For future reference, here's what did it: The last connector (no, not the middle one), and the red stripe is "reversed". A.k.a. the red stripe on the floppy ribbon will be on the opposite side of that of the ide drives (assuming that they are correctly plugged on the motherboard, red stripe on pin 1) Just as the colors of the wires from the PSU seem inverted.

The cable has two ends, each capable of two positions.

A= mobo position 1
B= mobo position 2
C= drive position 1
D= drive postition 2

AC
AD
BC
BD

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Yes, true.

But say you plug the cable to the mobo first, then it still is only 2 ways to attach it, isnt it?

A total of 2 ways to do things wrong if you know what I mean.

This is my new sig.

<b>If</b> the mobo end is correct in the first place.

4 ends (2 either end)= 16 combinations.

4 ends (4 either end)= 256 combinations.

Wasn't sure which you meant. :smile:

G

to add to the confusion, some motherboards (and I'm sure some floppy drives too), don't have all pins, there's often one missing to show which way the darn plug goes. My mother board had such a feature, but my floppy drive didn't. In any case, it worked, and I usually use it at least once a year.