Floppy problem

G

Ok, here's the deal.. I'll try to make it short..

I just upgraded and my hardware is now as follows:

Abit KT7A-Raid
AMD - Tbird 900 mhz
256 mb ram
Geforce 1 (without ddr)
2 harddrives (different size / no raid)
and of course a soundcard and a netcard..

Ok, so after I changed everything and booted up, I entered BIOS and made sure that it was setup correctly - after which I booted up winME.. (yeah, I know, it sux, since it'll find all the new hardware and there'll still be drivers from the old system left..) But anyway.. It booted up fine, no problems.. (Of course a couple of restarts was necessary..)

Next thing.. I wanted to format and reinstall everything.. *but* I can't boot from my floppy drive.. (and yes, boot sequence in BIOS is 1. Floppy, 2. HD-0, 3.Other..) .. Ok, you might think that the floppydrive was damaged during the installation process, but the weird thing is, that it can read *some* floppy-disks in windows... and by *some* I mean, like 1 out 10... otherwise it says that they're not formatted.. (and they are..)

Ok, when I try to boot from a floppy, it gives me an I/O-error, please insert another disk... and it's not the disk... tried at a friend, that disk worked fine.. along with all the others..

Here's what I've done so far:
Changing the grey cable (dunno what it's called in English) from the floppy-controller to the floppydrive - no luck.
Changing the floppy-drive it self - no luck.
Changing the powercable - no luck.
Tried every possible boot disk - no luck.
Called several friends to help - no luck.

The only thing left, as far as I see, is that the floppy-controller on the motherboard, somehow is damaged.. But again, that seems odd, since it works partially in windows.. (I have no problems reading and writing on those disks that work in windows..).. I really dont want to return the motherboard, that would take forever.. So.. I was hoping someone "outthere" could help..

Thx in advance.. :)

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Have you tried installing the a: drive in a different computer? Make sure pin is not bent or dirty on the MB and a: Also it sounds like it is the motherboard controller for the a:...I had one go out in a Packered Bell same problem. Mother Board controller. Good Luck...

:cool: