Dell 4600 XP - when switching users or logging off a user, floppy seeks for
5-6 seconds. Just started doing this. Is there a way to stop it? Just
annoying, doesn't affect the PC.
Andy

> Dell 4600 XP - when switching users or logging off a user, floppy seeks for
> 5-6 seconds. Just started doing this. Is there a way to stop it? Just
> annoying, doesn't affect the PC.

Could it be your virus checker enforcing this ? - We have old win95
machines in work with Norton, and shutting them down instigates a check
of the floppy (!)

Could be it. I do have Norton. Thanks!
Andy

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Dell 4600 XP - when switching users or logging off a user, floppy seeks
>> for
>> 5-6 seconds. Just started doing this. Is there a way to stop it? Just
>> annoying, doesn't affect the PC.
>
> Could it be your virus checker enforcing this ? - We have old win95
> machines in work with Norton, and shutting them down instigates a check
> of the floppy (!)
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Dell 4600 XP - when switching users or logging off a user, floppy seeks
>> for
>> 5-6 seconds. Just started doing this. Is there a way to stop it? Just
>> annoying, doesn't affect the PC.
>
> Could it be your virus checker enforcing this ? - We have old win95
> machines in work with Norton, and shutting them down instigates a check
> of the floppy (!)

I discovered just recently that this is because people often leave them in
the drive and an attempt to boot from it at start up could possess a threat.
That said, if there was a threat it should show up when disk was inserted!

Chris

That would make sense but why after 2 months does it start doing this?
Andy

"Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Dell 4600 XP - when switching users or logging off a user, floppy seeks
>>> for
>>> 5-6 seconds. Just started doing this. Is there a way to stop it? Just
>>> annoying, doesn't affect the PC.
>>
>> Could it be your virus checker enforcing this ? - We have old win95
>> machines in work with Norton, and shutting them down instigates a check
>> of the floppy (!)
>
> I discovered just recently that this is because people often leave them in
> the drive and an attempt to boot from it at start up could possess a
> threat. That said, if there was a threat it should show up when disk was
> inserted!
>
> Chris

It may do that if the last file you saved was to a floppy. Try saving a file
to the hard drive, even if it's an existing file and you replace it with
itself.

"Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> That would make sense but why after 2 months does it start doing this?
> Andy
>
> "Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Could it be your virus checker enforcing this ? - We have old win95
>>> machines in work with Norton, and shutting them down instigates a check
>>> of the floppy (!)
>>
>> I discovered just recently that this is because people often leave them
>> in the drive and an attempt to boot from it at start up could possess a
>> threat. That said, if there was a threat it should show up when disk was
>> inserted!
>>
>> Chris

Will give that a shot. Seems like I did save some files to a floppy while
working on my old laptop.Thanks!!!
Andy

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It may do that if the last file you saved was to a floppy. Try saving a
> file to the hard drive, even if it's an existing file and you replace it
> with itself.
>
> "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> That would make sense but why after 2 months does it start doing this?
>> Andy
>>
>> "Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>> "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>> I discovered just recently that this is because people often leave them
>>> in the drive and an attempt to boot from it at start up could possess a
>>> threat. That said, if there was a threat it should show up when disk was
>>> inserted!
>>>
>>> Chris

Paul

Splendid

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:26:53 GMT, "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Could be it. I do have Norton. Thanks!
>Andy

Check ot this Symantec KB article:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/1fea1c92224032d088256df70001a6c7?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=2004%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=nav&svy=&csm=no

or (tinyURL version):

http://tinyurl.com/4fchl

This article is specific to Norton AV 4004. I found it by searching
for keywords 'shutdown' 'access' and 'floppy' after selecting Norton
AV 2004 here:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html

>"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Dell 4600 XP - when switching users or logging off a user, floppy seeks
>>> for
>>> 5-6 seconds. Just started doing this. Is there a way to stop it? Just
>>> annoying, doesn't affect the PC.
>>
>> Could it be your virus checker enforcing this ? - We have old win95
>> machines in work with Norton, and shutting them down instigates a check
>> of the floppy (!)
>>
>> --
>> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
>> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Done and it no longer seeks. Thanks!
Andy