Floppy with Asus Z170-A

Roger Davis

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
I have a strong need to install an internally mounted floppy in a computer with an Asus Z170-A. Possibilities are:

- Find an internal mount USB floppy - several hours looking, no success yet. Anyone know where to get one?
- Use an converter and regular floppy?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200176&cm_re=sata_to_floppy_convert_cable-_-12-200-176-_-Product ; (or similar)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821121001&cm_re=internal_floppy_drive-_-21-121-001-_-Product ; (or similar)
I think the MB has 7 sata ports (?) , and we are so far using 5?
- Connect a regular floppy. I don't think this board has a proper connector for this? If not, could I use an added card to support the connection?
- Take an external USB connected floppy drive, and connect it to an internal USB port and mount it in an external facing drive bay, either by taking it out of it's external case, or keeping the case and attaching (how?) this case to some available bracket or ? I would guess that the external floppy case can be easily removed. Is this correct or not? Screwdriver, etc, or hammer and chisel, or ?
- Something else I haven't thought of ?

Do these USB floppy drives require 2.0, or will 3.0 work OK? (I know about the supposed full compatibility, but just wanna ask.)

What am I forgetting?

Thanks!

Solution
Forget internal. Motherboards haven't had floppy connectors for years. All you need is a good external USB floppy for those rare times you actually need to use one.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I got the same results from some poking around -- nothing.

but you can try this:
1) get any USB floppy drive (yes it will be EXTERNAL

2) get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3AR4FE3768
This will go from an internal usb header on your mobo to the usb cable on the floppy drive you got

3) strip off the case/covering from the external drive and find an adaptor like the one in your first link. Mount securely in your case and your good to go. power will be provided via the USB bus.

WARNING: removing the case from the usb floppy will probably void any warranty, so be careful.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005

I will be amazed if this thing can read a floppy disk when installed in the OP system.
It has a floppy connector on the back, but the Asus Z170-A mobo does not have a floppy controller plug to match.

Roger Davis

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
ss202sl idea is good. I had seen this, but was hoping for a more straightforward solution. In my situation this would work, but require taking 1 step back to get the 2 necessary steps forward.

Let's leave this open for now.

Floppy drives are NOT IDE. Note that the connector on the back of the unit you linked is 34-pin (floppy) not 40-pin (IDE). The two protocols are not compatible.

Virtually all external USB floppys use laptop drives that would be a royal pain to adapt to internal.

You are correct.
It has been a long time.
I will erase my post.