floppy won't write or format disc

br549

My floppy drive keeps giving me the message "this disc is write protected"
whenever I try to save a file or format a disc. I made sure the
write-protect tab is in the proper position, and I tried several new discs
as well. The drive is reading the discs just fine. Any troubleshooting
suggestions? Thanks.

BR

TR

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 17:03:04 -0500, "BR549" <br549@mindless.com> wrote:

>My floppy drive keeps giving me the message "this disc is write protected"
>whenever I try to save a file or format a disc.

Had the same exact problem with my 3 1/2 drive. It would read files
already on the floppy just fine but would error when trying to write
any new files or format a new floppy saying that it was write
protected. Turned out that it had just given up the ghost and a
replacement was in order. The replacement cost $16 and works just
fine.

Regards,
TR

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Is there anything in the BIOS that is set to disable writing to the floppy?

"BR549" <br549@mindless.com> wrote in message
> My floppy drive keeps giving me the message "this disc is write protected"
> whenever I try to save a file or format a disc. I made sure the
> write-protect tab is in the proper position, and I tried several new discs
> as well. The drive is reading the discs just fine. Any troubleshooting
> suggestions? Thanks.
>
> BR

Replace it... Ben Myers

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 17:03:04 -0500, "BR549" <br549@mindless.com> wrote:

>My floppy drive keeps giving me the message "this disc is write protected"
>whenever I try to save a file or format a disc. I made sure the
>write-protect tab is in the proper position, and I tried several new discs
>as well. The drive is reading the discs just fine. Any troubleshooting
>suggestions? Thanks.
>
>BR

The shutter sensor for the write-protect has gone bad - replace the drive
(about $5-10 for a new one).

"BR549" <br549@mindless.com> wrote in message
> My floppy drive keeps giving me the message "this disc is write protected"
> whenever I try to save a file or format a disc. I made sure the
> write-protect tab is in the proper position, and I tried several new discs
> as well. The drive is reading the discs just fine. Any troubleshooting
> suggestions? Thanks.
>
> BR

Yes, I would check the info that snoopy mentioned before replacing the drive,
just in case.

In the floppy options of the BIOS, there is usually a setting called Floppy
Write Protect.

Make sure that is disabled.

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote:

>Is there anything in the BIOS that is set to disable writing to the floppy?
>

>"BR549" <br549@mindless.com> wrote in message
>> My floppy drive keeps giving me the message "this disc is write protected"
>> whenever I try to save a file or format a disc. I made sure the
>> write-protect tab is in the proper position, and I tried several new discs
>> as well. The drive is reading the discs just fine. Any troubleshooting
>> suggestions? Thanks.
>>
>> BR

br549

That's exactly where the problem was! Thanks to everyone for your help :)

BR