Flowmeter for water cooled systems

hoobler23

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Got a question about water cooling...

I'm a Mechanical Engineer that works with heat transfer and water flow every day. In my industry there are devices called Flowmeters that will measure the amount of fluid flow through the system or component of the system.

I'm thinking about water cooling on my PC and really want to be able to measure the flow through the component water blocks in real time. Does any one know of a device on the market that is available that can accomplish this?

The reason I want to know the flow is simply to make sure each component is getting the flow it needs due to pressure drop differences that occur in the different types of water blocks. If I was to find that my northbridge waterblock, for example, was getting more flow than needed and my VGA waterblock was not getting enough, I could install and adjust a valve in the pipe to the northbridge to balance the system and compensate for the difference in pressure drop.

Any help is appreciated! :)

hoobler23

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Well that helps, I actually just went straight to Tom's Hardware and searched here thinking that someone would have tried them out before. For the meters linked, my PC would have to be running to read the flow rates ... which is actually a nice feature. I guess I had some kind of external display in mind so I don't fry anything in the PC waiting to boot up (I know you can see fan speed info in the bios on some mobos though...).

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Well. You don't see them a lot because they reduce flow. No kidding. IF we could afford industrial equipment there are some very nice ones that use tranducers coupled to a Analog I/O module in a PLC. That would be great! But the stuff for hobby WC is in the maybe $30 range and has to use an impeller in a channel, thus flow rates drop, which is bad.

Most decent WC loops are using pumps that have an incredible MTBF rate and rarely go bad, and if so, most PC's thermally shut down before any damage is done.

Thats why you see so few. There are more technical sites that deal with PC watercooling. Google is your friend.

Ohh, we always run loops in series, so the change in flow from one point to another is so small we don't worry about it.

Here is a dream place for you, another engineer tests WC stuff,.

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/

And please, from a industrial electronic/mechanical repair tech, also a pretty experianced watercooler with common sense, stay away from Koolance or any Thermaltake WC gear.

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Conumdrum
And please, from a industrial electronic/mechanical repair tech, also a pretty experianced watercooler with common sense, stay away from Koolance

I've been using Koolance for a couple of years now and have had 0 problems, they make good hardware that works as they say it will.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
baddad, good for you. Guess your a lucky one. There are many other places that continually post stories and pics, supporting data that speak otherwise. If it works, great. And truthfully, they are getting better. Nice rig BTW.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I want a water cooling system with a plcc transducer flow meter and temperature differential pressure compensation.
To bad I would need to sell my house to do it.