[SOLVED] Fluctuating 'actual' speed of my modem/router.

Oct 9, 2020
Dear reader,

Router/Modem:
Technicolor TG789bvn

Internet provider: Tele2/T-Mobile
Download speed could be maximally 100 Mbps (I have a 100Mbps subscription)

I have some connection problems and I'm trying to find the reason;

I went to the configuration website of my modem by typing in the IPv4 address with username and password in a webbrowser.
There is a row with actual data speed [Mbps].

Question 1: What exactly does this 'actual' data speed mean? Is this the download speed I receive from my internet provider at the input port of my modem? See the images.

Also, this actual speed fluctuates extremely between 13Mbps - 140 Mbps.
mbps13.png

117mbps.png

This change from 13Mbps -> 117 Mbps happened in only 20 seconds or even less...

Question 2: Should this Actual Speed be constant? Or are huge fluctuations always happening to everyone?

Sincerely,
R3intje

Solution
Got it, so you've definitely got packet loss problems at the heart of the issue.

Can you try this same test wired directly to your modem? You shouldn't have any packet loss this way at any time.
Well, this is your wireless configuration page so it might be a real-time display of your wireless. If you want to see if you have fluctuations in your Internet speeds, connect to your router with a wire and test using fast.com and dslreports.com/speedtest and post your results here.

Oct 9, 2020
Well, this is your wireless configuration page so it might be a real-time display of your wireless. If you want to see if you have fluctuations in your Internet speeds, connect to your router with a wire and test using fast.com and dslreports.com/speedtest and post your results here.

My T-Mobile subscription: 100Mbps

T-Mobile expects my maximum downloadspeed to be: 70Mbps

My maximum ethernet downloadspeed: 50 Mbps

My maximum wireless downloadspeed: 42 Mbps

But, at least a couple of hours per day, the downloadspeed drops to ~0.1 - 10.0 Mbps

The reason I was checking the configuration page is to find out whether these fluctuations could be caused by the wiring or by the modem/router itself.

Last edited: