[SOLVED] Fluctuating CPU numbers on Ryzen 2700 non-X

snakeoilsalesman

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Starting from the beginning, I had originally been using Gigabytes' EasyTune software for a slight overclock (from the base 3.2 to 3.4), and later decided to just set it back to default and uninstall EasyTune, because frankly, I've started having some iffy performance jumps in games and couldn't think of anything else it could be and because I started having questions about how safe it was to use. So, moving forward I got rid of it and went into Ryzen Master to see about completely returning my CPU to its stock parameters and pressed the reset button at the top of the window that was under the Current profile tab. After the system restart, however, my CPU frequency has been at around 3.45 with a constant EDC of 99-100% when in high performance power mode, and when in the balanced mode, the frequency will fluctuate constantly from numbers like 1.5 to 4.1 on every core. The EDC in this mode will also randomly fluctuate between percentages like 46% to 99%, and even the CPU voltage will jump anywhere from 0.8 to 1.33, with all of this happening while idle. Now in the present, I have double checked all these numbers with other programs such as CPU-Z and HWiN to see if it was just weird readings, but they are all the same as Ryzen Master's fluctuating numbers. So far no crashing or anything, but when after I ran Prime95 to check, the EDC has stayed at a constant 99-100% even after stopping it, regardless of power mode. After all that, my big question is whether or not this is normal, or if something is going wrong, because if it wasn't obvious before, I am quite a newbie when it comes to overclocking and how the CPU handles itself in these situations.

TL;DR - Every sensor app I have tells me that my CPU's frequencies, ratios, and voltages are just randomly fluctuating, and my EDC seems to either stay at or randomly spike into the red (96-100%) after a profile reset in Ryzen Master, all while in balanced power mode. Is this normal?

Solution
Since you said you'd reset back to stock, I was trying to explain the difference. Where before, your CPU was probably always at the max frequency, now it will idle down when not used.

Obviously I don't have a lot of experience working with the EDC in Ryzen Master. I will say that I personally wouldn't put much concern on it. It sounds like an efficiency measure actually. Aka, if you're overclocking and adding too much voltage, perhaps that would be a way to see that you've got some room to back off. At stock frequency and voltages, I'd imagine the chip thinks it's running at optimal levels (hence EDC = 100%). I have no factual basis for those assumptions though.

I also want to touch on this again, depending on how...
  1. The max single core boost clock on a 2700 is 4.1GHz and (probably) the idle frequency is 1.5GHz. So that sounds normal.
  2. Voltages appear to be normal for the various frequencies, and should directly correlate.
  3. If there's background processes running, your CPU will come out of idle state to complete those tasks, then go back to idle. Many times, these blips are only about a second long. Sounds normal, depending on how frequent your spikes are, but again, a function of background processes. You should be able to easily see this using Windows' Resource monitor utility. When CPU usage shows, CPU frequency should also jump into action.
EDC = ?

As far as I'm aware, still, OCing Ryzen results in the loss of idle CPU states (aka, the CPU just churns along at max frequency all the time). Happy to be corrected on that, since it's annoying (the '90's just called....)

snakeoilsalesman

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
  1. The max single core boost clock on a 2700 is 4.1GHz and (probably) the idle frequency is 1.5GHz. So that sounds normal.
  2. Voltages appear to be normal for the various frequencies, and should directly correlate.
  3. If there's background processes running, your CPU will come out of idle state to complete those tasks, then go back to idle. Many times, these blips are only about a second long. Sounds normal, depending on how frequent your spikes are, but again, a function of background processes. You should be able to easily see this using Windows' Resource monitor utility. When CPU usage shows, CPU frequency should also jump into action.
EDC = ?

As far as I'm aware, still, OCing Ryzen results in the loss of idle CPU states (aka, the CPU just churns along at max frequency all the time). Happy to be corrected on that, since it's annoying (the '90's just called....)
Thanks a bunch for the reply and sorry if I had to make you read through that wall of text :p. Anyway, as far as being in an OC state, I did reset the CPU to stock settings so that shouldn't be the case anymore as far as I know, unless its just permanent or something, but I did check the resource utility and it seems to show that my CPU is pretty constantly under usage, so I guess that does explain the constant fluctuations. Now, as far as EDC goes, Ryzen Master says that it stands for "Peak Current Limit CPU", and what I find online states that it stands for Electrical De-sign Current. It also said that that value is for short term, which is disconcerting considering that value is almost always 99-100% for me (and in red) in the Ryzen Master panel.

Regardless, knowing that the other stuff is normal does make me feel a hell of a lot better and gives me less things to worry over, so thanks again! :)

Since you said you'd reset back to stock, I was trying to explain the difference. Where before, your CPU was probably always at the max frequency, now it will idle down when not used.

Obviously I don't have a lot of experience working with the EDC in Ryzen Master. I will say that I personally wouldn't put much concern on it. It sounds like an efficiency measure actually. Aka, if you're overclocking and adding too much voltage, perhaps that would be a way to see that you've got some room to back off. At stock frequency and voltages, I'd imagine the chip thinks it's running at optimal levels (hence EDC = 100%). I have no factual basis for those assumptions though.

I also want to touch on this again, depending on how frequently the CPU is spiking out of idle frequency when the PC should be idle, you may want to dig and figure out what's using so much CPU in the background. Idle is a baseline, so once you're doing something intensive, you're not getting the full compute power of your CPU dedicated to that task.

Solution