Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 22621.1344
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

CPU: AMD 5900x
RAM: 16 GB
OS installed on NVMe drive
5 HDD for storage

I've been reorganizing my files and moving large amounts of data between my HDDs and noticed the file copy speed was going from expected speed - around 150 mb/s - to zero and back up and down... etc, in overall the file copy took more than double the usual time.
Tried also copying some files from HDD to USB device and the speed was also less than half the usual.
My OS and chipset drivers are fully updated, and this is the first time I have such a problem but I can't recall when it started since everything was OK until at least the past 10 days.
Windows update installed (KB5022913) two days ago and I think the problem started after.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
It appears that patch actually meant to speed up file transfer as per this link - https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/...ly-fixes-a-bug-that-makes-copying-files-slow/

I don't have that patch, I must have missed it last month.

I would check if there are any newer drivers for storage drives.

Thank you Colif, I just re downloaded and reinstalled latest version of AMD chipset drivers and tested, same result (it is even a little worse).
Any other solution?

Kind Regards

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Update:

I just uninstalled Windows update (KB5022913) and ran tests, files to USB speed increased at least by 2, HDD to HDD is much better but still the speed dips to 0 every like 10 sec.
I think this is an OS related issue, and the patch (KB5022913) that was supposed to fix it made it worse.

Ideas?

Sometimes moving large files with a bunch of little files from HDD to another, its not uncommon to see weird transfer speeds like that, I got a ark server thats about 30GB in size, Moving it to a different drive is painfully slow for whatever reason, even from SSD to SSD.

Reactions: Fuad

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Sometimes moving large files with a bunch of little files from HDD to another, its not uncommon to see weird transfer speeds like that, I got a ark server thats about 30GB in size, Moving it to a different drive is painfully slow for whatever reason, even from SSD to SSD.
Thank you Viking2121, I selected a few hundreds GB of files (each one is 3 to 6 GB) and tested and got the same speed drop to zero every few seconds.

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Solved!

It seems that ExplorerPatcher and Windows update (KB5022913) don't work well together, I uninstalled Windows update (KB5022913), restart, uninstalled ExplorerPatcher, restart, then test again, everything is working much better but there are periodic speed dips.
Then I re-installed Windows update (KB5022913), restart, test, problem solved.
Still, I need a way to ungroup taskbar icons, but that's another issue.

Thank you Colif
Thank you Viking2121

Kind Regards