Question Fluctuating FPS after cleaning

Apr 2, 2020
I took out my graphics card two nights ago to clean with dust remover and after reinserting it wouldn't run as well as before. I started having fps issues on shooter games like Warzone, Apex, and CS GO. All three games saw a dip in fps especially Warzone. Warzone would have a constant fluctuation that is rather on a tempo that goes from 100-60 fps. If I cap my fps to 60 it somewhat stabilizes and only fluctuates from 53-60. This game used to run smooth at 90-100 fps before cleaning. On two occasions the monitor loses signal from computer and can't seem to get it back despite the computer still running. CS GO on the other hand would fluctuate from 144-30 when I stare at smoke. Like Warzone, this hasn't occured before. Apex was just stuttering right after I jump out the plane. League of Legends however would run smooth at 144fps with no fluctuation or at least I can't seem to find it fluctuating.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling graphic driver with DDU. Nothing changed after doing that. Not sure what I messed up. There wasn't any updates that I am aware of between the last session I played before cleaning and after cleaning. All these games ran great before. My cpu temp while playing is around 52c and gpu is around 68-71c.

MSI RX480 4gb
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x six-core processor
B450 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard
HyperX DDR4 2x8GB 2x4GB
EVGA 450w
Corsair H100i liquid cooler

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020
What "dust remover" did you use --- a purpose-made can of compressed air (commonly called an air-duster)? No cloth or brush which physically touched the card?
Yep purpose made can of compressed air was used. I used micro fiber cloth to give the exterior of graphic card a quick wipe, so the plastic top side and the fans pretty much. Nothing else was touched by the cloth.