Fluctuating Ping in Games

Sep 8, 2018
This started around a week ago, but my ping goes from a constant ~30 ping half of the time to ~130 ping the other half of the time. It makes it really hard to play games and my discord even

Here's a video of my ping in action in an Overwatch game. As you can see, it's good for a bit then everyone's teleporting around. This problem isn't just in Overwatch.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9dLy4Uxl30&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

Here's my command prompt with the command ping "-n 30 -l 1000 (ping)" that I saw in another thread around here. You can see the fluctuations clearly.
vRVVm3m.png

I should also mention that this doesn't happen with any other device on the same Wi-Fi. Just my computer. But it happens in everything on the computer.

Solution
I am going to bet you were ping your router. It is almost impossible to get 1-2ms on something outside your house.

If you are using WiFi then this is "normal" and why it is recommended to never play online game on wifi.

Wifi is subject to interference from both inside and outside your house. This interference causes these delays while the wifi devices do data retransmission. There really is no solution other than finding all sources of interference and removing them but you can do little about the interference from say your neighbors wifi.

If this is ethernet it has to be some issue with the router or the pc. Most times it will be a driver issue but it tends to be hard to find.
Sep 8, 2018

How do I run tracert and pathping? I'm not familiar with this type of stuff. Also, how can IPs show what's happening?

Ralston18

Titan
tracert and pathping are both run via the Command prompt.

You can find much information online. E.g.:

https://www.lifewire.com/tracert-command-2618101

Likewise for pathping.

The results provide some insight as to where along the packets' path delays may be occurring.

Delays may be within your network, your ISP, beyond your ISP, or at the game's website.

For example:

Your redacted ping output shows 306 ms on the first hop - that is on your end.

Then there are other delays further down - probably not within your ISP's control and prior to the target game site (IP)

Run some additional tests at different times with different IP targets.

The results may be helpful....

I am going to bet you were ping your router. It is almost impossible to get 1-2ms on something outside your house.

If you are using WiFi then this is "normal" and why it is recommended to never play online game on wifi.

Wifi is subject to interference from both inside and outside your house. This interference causes these delays while the wifi devices do data retransmission. There really is no solution other than finding all sources of interference and removing them but you can do little about the interference from say your neighbors wifi.

If this is ethernet it has to be some issue with the router or the pc. Most times it will be a driver issue but it tends to be hard to find.

Solution