Question flushdna I made an oopsy!!

Raichi

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
I wanted to flush my dns so I went in command promt and aimed to type ipconfig/flushdns

BUT INSTEAD I typed ipconfig/flushdna

Aaaand that executed x_x

Is this bad? If yes, how do I fix it?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
You typed in an invalid command and nothing should have happened except a red-lettered error message like this:

ipconfic : The term 'ipconfic' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
  • ipconfic /flushdna
  • ~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (ipconfic:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Was that command typed at the computer's command prompt or in Powershell?

Either way there should not be a problem as the command would not be recognized.

Therefore the command really did not and could not have actually executed.

If my understanding is wrong or you did do something else then update your post accordingly.

Raichi

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
You typed in an invalid command and nothing should have happened except a red-lettered error message like this:

ipconfic : The term 'ipconfic' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
  • ipconfic /flushdna
  • ~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (ipconfic:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Was that command typed at the computer's command prompt or in Powershell?

Either way there should not be a problem as the command would not be recognized.

Therefore the command really did not and could not have actually executed.

If my understanding is wrong or you did do something else then update your post accordingly.

looks like I made a typo in my opening post.

the command was ipconfig/flushdna not opconfic/flushdna

Ralston18

Titan
Does not matter - if you enter an invalid command and/or parameters without the correct spelling or syntax then the command will fail and result in an error message.

Example:

PS C:\Users\XXX> ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/flushdns : The term 'ipconfig/flushdns' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
again.
  • ipconfig/flushdns
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (ipconfig/flushdns:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

In the above command, I did not include the required space after "ipconfig".

Command failed.

Where things really go bad is if you enter an incorrect parameter or make a typo doing so.

You wish to format D: drive and type "C:" instead. Hopefully there will be warning/confirmation prompt but sometimes folks are not truly paying attention and confirm the action.

Ralston18

Titan
Per @MasterWigu - yes the command executed successfully.

Some commands allow you to control how much information is returned.

For example: compare the results of "ipconfig" to the results of "ipconfig /all".

You the user can decide what attributes of the command you wish to use or apply.

/V being verbose mode when extra information is presented.

Here is a link that provides some good examples with respect to the "dir" command.

https://www.computerhope.com/dirhlp.htm

And you can go way beyond DOS. Powershell is quite powerful and useful.

TRENDING THREADS