Flying school -- what a bitch!

Hi people.

I've read pretty much all of what there is to read about this mission.
I've been stuck on the "circle the runway" bit for about two hours so far
and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm hitting the first hoop 100% of the time,
the second 20%, and from then on the plane goes into a crazy tumble and
occasionally hits the third one. I think I've made it to about five
circles once, but then the plane went haywire. I seem to be unable to
stabilize the flight in mid-course, especially since once I'm off track I
must stabilize the plane as well as apply increasingly drastic corrections
on my curse which only ends up with the plane upside-down somewhere in the
desert. This usually happens right after the second hoop.

Good grief, how can I beat this mission? I let go of X pretty much when I
catch the first hoop, and using R2/L2 doesn't seem to help any so I don't
use them.

I know you guys have said all there is to be said about this, but I must
vent my frustation in public.

My flying skill is at zero at the moment. Does it help to steal airplanes
and fly around to get flying skill up before attempting these missions? In
what way does the flying skill meter affect the handling of the airplane?
I've flown the crop duster all across SA and back but my skill is still
at 0%. Seems to progress awfully slowly, if at all.

--D.

I cheated to get my flying skill up. I took off from LS in the Dodo,
and used the autofire on my GameWare controller to keep the engine
speed up with the X on auto-repeat, and strapped down L2 with a rubber
band to keep the 'plane going round in circles. I then turned on the
news and made my tea, when I got back my flying skill was significantly
boosted. I don't think it's maxed out yet, you might have to do
aerobatics to do that.

Phil Hibbs.

> My flying skill is at zero at the moment. Does it help to steal airplanes
> and fly around to get flying skill up before attempting these missions? In
> what way does the flying skill meter affect the handling of the airplane?
> I've flown the crop duster all across SA and back but my skill is still
> at 0%. Seems to progress awfully slowly, if at all.

I had near-zero flying skill when I started this mission. This mission
cost me some time as well (you'll love the next one: circle air strip
AND LAND!), about 2 hours. The trick is to be *very* subtle in your
movements. If at any point you have to take a drastic turn to correct
your air plane, it's too late. You have to anticipate movements and
be very subtle with the controls for this to work.

I found it easiest with near-maximum flying speed, the plane seems to be
flying more stable then.

Good luck!

Bram

In message <slrnd2tjea.15l.haude@kir.physnet.uni-hamburg.de>
Daniel Haude <haude@kir.physnet.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:

> Good grief, how can I beat this mission? I let go of X pretty much when I
> catch the first hoop, and using R2/L2 doesn't seem to help any so I don't
> use them.

Use a combination of the d-stick and L2/R2 buttons. Plus, get a feel
for the aircraft; they each behave quite differently to each other in
SA. Also, don't hold down X. All the planes are MUCH easier to control
when you're not going for an airspeed world record.

You also only need bronze to pass, so when you come back to it and
fancy getting all silvers or all golds, then you can start flying
faster and slightly more recklessly.

Last of all, DON'T PANIC! The coronas (Those red things you're trying
to fly through) have quite a distance to your touch. You don't have to
get all of the plane in them, sometimes barely just the tip of the wing
or even the tail. The next corona you're supposed to hit appears on the
map in the bottom left, so play the mission through a few times to work
out the direction you have to be in to hit it accurately and fast.

> My flying skill is at zero at the moment. Does it help to steal airplanes
> and fly around to get flying skill up before attempting these missions? In
> what way does the flying skill meter affect the handling of the airplane?
> I've flown the crop duster all across SA and back but my skill is still
> at 0%. Seems to progress awfully slowly, if at all.

Flying skill does creep up pathetically slowly, but the benefit of
taking the time to max it out gifts you with much better handling. It
become much more responsive to your control.

A lot have people have said that just flying around Los Santos after
jumping over the security booth and nicking a Dodo/Shamal have maxed it
out early, but it didn't happen for me. In fact, my pilot skill only
really increased when I used a helicopter to do all the photo ops.

Cheers,
Rob

Ghost

Distinguished
May 16, 2002

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> In message <slrnd2tjea.15l.haude@kir.physnet.uni-hamburg.de>
> Daniel Haude <haude@kir.physnet.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>

>Snip<

> Flying skill does creep up pathetically slowly, but the benefit of
> taking the time to max it out gifts you with much better handling. It
> become much more responsive to your control.
>
> A lot have people have said that just flying around Los Santos after
> jumping over the security booth and nicking a Dodo/Shamal have maxed
> it
> out early, but it didn't happen for me. In fact, my pilot skill only
> really increased when I used a helicopter to do all the photo ops.

I maxed up the flying skills with the Shamal from Los Santos Airport.
If you do lot's of Rolls, Loopings and acrobatics the faster your skills
go up.
And yes it did a lot to help passing Flying School.

An almost always friendly
Ghost

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:49:08 +0100,
Ghost <friendly_cyber_ghost@hotmail> wrote
in Msg. <422efef8$1_2@127.0.0.1>

> I maxed up the flying skills with the Shamal from Los Santos Airport.
> If you do lot's of Rolls, Loopings and acrobatics the faster your skills
> go up.

The Shamal is a piece of cake to fly, too. I managed to land and taxi it
into my hangar without any damage on the first try.

> And yes it did a lot to help passing Flying School.

Let's hope so. I'm currently at about one-third.

--Daniel

"Daniel Haude" <haude@kir.physnet.uni-hamburg.de> wrote in message
> Hi people.
>
> I've read pretty much all of what there is to read about this mission.
> I've been stuck on the "circle the runway" bit for about two hours so far
> and I'm not getting anywhere. I'm hitting the first hoop 100% of the time,
> the second 20%, and from then on the plane goes into a crazy tumble and
> occasionally hits the third one. I think I've made it to about five
> circles once, but then the plane went haywire. I seem to be unable to
> stabilize the flight in mid-course, especially since once I'm off track I
> must stabilize the plane as well as apply increasingly drastic corrections
> on my curse which only ends up with the plane upside-down somewhere in the
> desert. This usually happens right after the second hoop.
>
> Good grief, how can I beat this mission? I let go of X pretty much when I
> catch the first hoop, and using R2/L2 doesn't seem to help any so I don't
> use them.
>
> I know you guys have said all there is to be said about this, but I must
> vent my frustation in public.
>
> My flying skill is at zero at the moment. Does it help to steal airplanes
> and fly around to get flying skill up before attempting these missions? In
> what way does the flying skill meter affect the handling of the airplane?
> I've flown the crop duster all across SA and back but my skill is still
> at 0%. Seems to progress awfully slowly, if at all.
>
> --D.

I don't know if this will help or not, but here goes. Flying school was
*very* easy for me, I still haven't completed the driving, biking or boating
schools- they're kicking my ass, but flying was a breeze, and It's because
of two games I played- Sky Odyssey, and Ace Combat 4. Playing those two
games *really* gave me a feel for flying and controlling a plane. If you
have access to those games, take a break from SA and give those games a try,
I guarantee that you'll pass flying school after completing those games...

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:29:12 GMT,
Buckaroo Banzai <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote
in Msg. <YhOXd.15550$OU1.8673@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>

> I don't know if this will help or not, but here goes. Flying school was
> *very* easy for me, I still haven't completed the driving, biking or boating
> schools- they're kicking my ass, but flying was a breeze, and It's because
> of two games I played- Sky Odyssey, and Ace Combat 4.

Yeah, I guess that's what it has to do with. I'm really bad in *all*
missions that require good vehicle control, both in VC and SA. I beat the
driving school with a lot of hard work, and, to my surprise, the boating
school without even really trying (after almost giving up on VC's "Stunt
Boat Challenge", and never finishing the boat yard missions). But flying
is something different -- I must admist that just ranting seems to help a
lot; I got 80% in "Circle the runway" right after letting off some steam
in this group, but am still failing the "circle and land" trial.

I've never played a flight simulator game. I've never played any console
game besides GTA. I guess I'm going to pull trhough eventually, but fun it
is not.

--Daniel

i did it clockwise...
it just took me time

now i get to go to geo...wait until you see this expedition.....

"Coach Mike Wyatt" <garvol@msn.com> wrote in message
>i did it clockwise...
> it just took me time

Hmm, I'm left handed, and I have to say that the clockwise direction was so
much easier... maybe you righties should try the counter-clockwise
approach....?

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

> "Coach Mike Wyatt" <garvol@msn.com> wrote in message
> >i did it clockwise...
> > it just took me time
>
> Hmm, I'm left handed, and I have to say that the clockwise direction was so
> much easier... maybe you righties should try the counter-clockwise
> approach....?

I have to say I tried clockwise first but soon realised it wasn't on.
Maybe it's the way we approach certain formations. I wonder what
direction a real plane circles before landing?
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 05:43:52 GMT, "Buckaroo Banzai"
<blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Coach Mike Wyatt" <garvol@msn.com> wrote in message
>>i did it clockwise...
>> it just took me time
>
>Hmm, I'm left handed, and I have to say that the clockwise direction was so
>much easier... maybe you righties should try the counter-clockwise
>approach....?

Yeh i found that counter clockwise was much easier, and i am a
'rightie' would never have thought that was relevant but hey it might
be

In article <4231589A.22B0DAB1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>Buckaroo Banzai wrote:
>>
>> "Coach Mike Wyatt" <garvol@msn.com> wrote in message
>> >i did it clockwise...
>> > it just took me time
>>
>> Hmm, I'm left handed, and I have to say that the clockwise direction was so
>> much easier... maybe you righties should try the counter-clockwise
>> approach....?
>
>I have to say I tried clockwise first but soon realised it wasn't on.
>Maybe it's the way we approach certain formations. I wonder what
>direction a real plane circles before landing?

Usually, one flies a left-hand circuit (all turns are to the left). This
makes sense because the pilot sits on the left (if the seating is side by
side), and so they can see the runway easilly during the circuit when
turning left.

However, this isn't mandatory, and there are times where a right-hand
circuit will be in force (at my local airfield, this happens when the wind
is coming from the wrong direction and you have to land on runway 05 instead
23 (they're both the same strip of concrete). Local conditions dictate that
circuits must take place to the south of the airfield, so a left-hand
circuit on 05 is not feasible.

Large airports often don't fly full circuits at all, but have designated
routes along which incoming pilots are directed by Air Traffic Control. I
have noticed that planes flying into London Heathrow to land on runway 27
typically come in from the north and make a right turn somewhere around
London Bridge (which leaves them pointing straight at the runway about 15
miles away).

Chris Brown wrote:

> In article <4231589A.22B0DAB1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >Buckaroo Banzai wrote:
> >>
> >> "Coach Mike Wyatt" <garvol@msn.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Hmm, I'm left handed, and I have to say that the clockwise direction was so
> >> much easier... maybe you righties should try the counter-clockwise
> >> approach....?
> >
> >I have to say I tried clockwise first but soon realised it wasn't on.
> >Maybe it's the way we approach certain formations. I wonder what
> >direction a real plane circles before landing?
>
> Usually, one flies a left-hand circuit (all turns are to the left). This
> makes sense because the pilot sits on the left (if the seating is side by
> side), and so they can see the runway easilly during the circuit when
> turning left.
>
> However, this isn't mandatory, and there are times where a right-hand
> circuit will be in force (at my local airfield, this happens when the wind
> is coming from the wrong direction and you have to land on runway 05 instead
> 23 (they're both the same strip of concrete). Local conditions dictate that
> circuits must take place to the south of the airfield, so a left-hand
> circuit on 05 is not feasible.
>
> Large airports often don't fly full circuits at all, but have designated
> routes along which incoming pilots are directed by Air Traffic Control. I
> have noticed that planes flying into London Heathrow to land on runway 27
> typically come in from the north and make a right turn somewhere around
> London Bridge (which leaves them pointing straight at the runway about 15
> miles away).

thanks Chris, I'm now a wiser man - ish :O)