Flying SID or STAR: no contact with ATC?

When flying a SID or STAR in real life or at IVAO/VATSIM, are you (as being
the pilot) allowed to fly the entire SID/STAR without contacting the ATC? Or
do you have to wait until ATC orders you to goto a certain
heading/speed/altitude? Or do you have to tell ATC when going to a certain
heading/speed/altitude?

Above are three possible solutions, which is the right one?

TIA!

Henk,

Your clearance will always be valid till a certain point. You may need
however still be required to give one or two position reports, depending on
the situation. For instance, using your SID, you may be cleared "SID such
and so", call passing FL050 (Europe) and upon reaching FL200. So you are
cleared to make all the turns as described in the SID and give a call in
time before reaching FL 180. Very well possible you will be handed over to
Dutch Mill Upper where you need to get further clearance enroute and for
higher altitude.

Does this help a little?

Loek

"Henk" <lkjfsd@sdkj.com> schreef in bericht
> When flying a SID or STAR in real life or at IVAO/VATSIM, are you (as
> being
> the pilot) allowed to fly the entire SID/STAR without contacting the ATC?
> Or
> do you have to wait until ATC orders you to goto a certain
> heading/speed/altitude? Or do you have to tell ATC when going to a certain
> heading/speed/altitude?
>
> Above are three possible solutions, which is the right one?
>
> TIA!

Repaired a typo... FL 180 instead of 200

"L. Mulder" <lbn.mulder@t-online.de> schreef in bericht
> Henk,
>
> Your clearance will always be valid till a certain point. You may need
> however still be required to give one or two position reports, depending
> on the situation. For instance, using your SID, you may be cleared "SID
> such and so", call passing FL050 (Europe) and upon reaching FL180. So you
> are cleared to make all the turns as described in the SID and give a call
> in time before reaching FL 180. Very well possible you will be handed over
> to Dutch Mill Upper where you need to get further clearance enroute and
> for higher altitude.
>
> Does this help a little?
>
> Loek
>

> "Henk" <lkjfsd@sdkj.com> schreef in bericht
>> When flying a SID or STAR in real life or at IVAO/VATSIM, are you (as
>> being
>> the pilot) allowed to fly the entire SID/STAR without contacting the ATC?
>> Or
>> do you have to wait until ATC orders you to goto a certain
>> heading/speed/altitude? Or do you have to tell ATC when going to a
>> certain
>> heading/speed/altitude?
>>
>> Above are three possible solutions, which is the right one?
>>
>> TIA!

"L. Mulder" <lbn.mulder@t-online.de> schreef in bericht
> Henk,
>
> Your clearance will always be valid till a certain point. You may need
> however still be required to give one or two position reports, depending
on
> the situation. For instance, using your SID, you may be cleared "SID such
> and so", call passing FL050 (Europe) and upon reaching FL200. So you are
> cleared to make all the turns as described in the SID and give a call in
> time before reaching FL 180. Very well possible you will be handed over to
> Dutch Mill Upper where you need to get further clearance enroute and for
> higher altitude.
>
> Does this help a little?
>
> Loek

Thanks Loek, this is exactly the answer to what I did'n't know!