Flying The USS Aegis In VR In 'Star Trek: Bridge Crew' (Hands On)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Are you really sure you were flying between Galaxies and not star systems? Star Trek lore is all contained in our current galaxy with only 1 instance I can recall of a species managing to make the trip between galaxies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"Are you really sure you were flying between Galaxies and not star systems? Star Trek lore is all contained in our current galaxy with only 1 instance I can recall of a species managing to make the trip between galaxies."

Agreed: There was an episode at the beginning of the series where 'The Traveler' flings the Enterprise-D in "galaxy known as M-33" [per helmsman Data]. Even in Voyager, the staring point was the 'Delta Quadrant' ... and the Voyager has to pass through Borg space to get back to the 'Alpha Quadrant'.

"To plot a course to another galaxy all I had to do..." >> "To plot a course to another star system all I had to do..."

To plot a course to another galaxy all I had to do was switch to warp mode.
Our Galaxy is around 100,000 light years across. At warp speed (Light speed or faster, it would take generations to cross. Some sci-fi has it as hundreds of times faster than light.
At that speed , say 500, it would take 200 years to cross.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
"Our Galaxy is around 100,000 light years across. At warp speed (Light speed or faster, it would take generations to cross. Some sci-fi has it as hundreds of times faster than light.
At that speed , say 500, it would take 20 years to cross."

You are missing the concept of "Warp". By warping space you are reducing the distance dramatically you have to travel. So theoretically you are reducing the distance 99.9999% and traveling near the speed of light.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

Star Trek has always been derpy when it comes to warp speed and the time it takes to get from point A to point B.
"They" went to all the trouble of those warp factor formulas but even then warp speed is too slow to get anywhere so they bend the rules to fit the plot.

Of course JJ Abrams adds his own "special" blend of derp to the reboot.(TRANS WARP BEAMING IS TOTAL TARG CRAP but that's a rage for another thread at another time ;). To travel from earth to Vulcan (which some sources put at 16LY away) in 30 minutes, the Enterprise needs to be traveling at something like 2,805,12 times the speed of light. OH and then there is the trip from the Klingon Homeworld back to Earth in less time which is at least 5 times the distance. :NERD RAGE

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

Warp drive doesn't reduce distance. It warps space around the ship and it's that space that travels faster than light.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
That engineering panel looks like it's set up for a 3 year old. If things like that don't change, this will be nothing more than a 'drunks at a party' game.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

It looks as complicated(Read simple) as the power diversion panel from Star Trek Online(more nerd rage). Its just lacking the shield renforcement LCARS screen.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

That would be space folding or a wormhole type system. Warp is best described as a wave moving through space that you ride. The wave has no limit to speed really and would depend on power you could dump into it...and well really whatever we make up as it is theoretical. In Trek it is nowhere near fast enough to go to another Galaxy....Voyager for instance was all about getting stuck on the other side of our galaxy so....in their version of the speed warp drive can attain it is not that fast. JJ messed with a it a lot and I have no idea how fast it is in the reboot. Still not folding, just wavy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.