Flying with Desktop Advice??

pandaturtle64

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I'm flying back and forth a few times from SF to LA for college and was curious as to what the best method/tips for flying with a desktop would be. Looking for the cheapest method possible.

My computer chassis is a Thermaltake A31 Chaser and I have two of ASUS VE228H-P and a full size mechanical kb. Not sure what the best method would be in terms of moving all of this with me.
Would it be best to disassemble the PC, take all the components with me, and ship the chassis?
The monitors would be moved only once.
Would it advisable to put the components in anti electrostatic bags and put them in my luggage?
Clueless as to what I should do :-/
Any comments/advice would be welcomed,
Thanks!

Rest of build is below
Thermaltake A31 Chaser
asrock Z77 extreme4 mobo
4x4Gb Team Inc. RAM
Rosewill Hive 750w PSU
Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 4GB OC edition
Cooler Master Seidon 120V
annnnnd
2x HDD
2x SSD

Solution
Hmm... I've seen how the bags in the hold are treated, so I understand your concern. If you make sure that there is enough padding around the case, it should be fine. The components inside are very strongly held together if all the screws are in correctly.

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Perhaps consider shipping the entire thing outright. I think you can order delicate shipping materials and have it shipped in a wood crate. It will probably cost a lot, but also probably easier than disassembling your computer and shipping it or packing it piece by piece.

MatthewGB

Respectable
Jun 15, 2016
I think it would be far smaller in the chassis; the boxes for the components are often huge. As for your worries about static electricity... don't worry. The case itself will protect the components.

If you wanted a smaller solution, you could downgrade your mobo micro-ATX or mini-ITX of course, but that would be around 70£, assuming you don't sell your old components.

EDIT: If you manage to bring it with you on the plane, then thats fine. But if not, either make your computer smaller, or get it delivered an other way.

pandaturtle64

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

I thought transporting the desktop (in general) fully assembled would increase the risk of things breaking, i.e. the gpu. esp if flying with since there's no way to bring it as a carry on unless like you said change the mobo/case

MatthewGB

Respectable
Jun 15, 2016
Hmm... I've seen how the bags in the hold are treated, so I understand your concern. If you make sure that there is enough padding around the case, it should be fine. The components inside are very strongly held together if all the screws are in correctly.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS