Fm2+ socket cpus?

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
The 7700k and the 7850k are the latest apus for fm2+ socket, the only other apus to follow will be more budget cpus (for the time being).
Any cpu/apu from the kaveri line won't offer much in terms of a performance boost.
You are better off with overclocking the 760k.

1) Your question is about FUTURE processors for that socket. It's my understanding there WILL be better models coming for FM2+, both CPU's and APU's.

It's AM3+ that is definitely dead for future processors.

2) R9-280?
It's not that much better than an R9-270X, and while I'd like to recommend it the price you mention indicates the cheapest card. Since I can't find any reviews yet I'm pretty nervous about what the quality will be.

The Gigabyte R9-270X on the other hand is just under $200 (comes with two free game codes for choice among Silver tier so make sure to get that sorted):
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr927xoc2gd

I suspect the Gigabyte R9-270X would be a higher quality card, and probably perform the same as the R9-280 possibly even higher as I'm guessing the GPU frequency would be a bit lower due to saving money on the cooler. I saw an XFX R9-280 at around 850Mhz, and I think the Gigabyte R9-270X is 1000Mhz for the cheaper model but I forget. (The R9-280 is maybe 5% to 8% faster if the clocks are the same)

3) BOTTLENECK?
On average, the R9-270X/280 would not be a bottleneck. It does vary by the game however, and there are a few very demanding games that would bottleneck. METRO Last Light is one of them.

I don't understand your logic. If you're saying you can simply overclock the card and get the same performance then you are mistaken.

The R9-270X at the higher frequency also requires a better cooler, voltage regulators, and possibly binned GPU's to ensure they run stable.

Also, the Gigabyte R9-270X is just under $200 so I'm not sure why you'd recommend an R9-270 that is $220.

TRENDING THREADS