FMC - for everyone

Hey, what I'd like is an FMC that you can use on any aircraft (which
has suitable a Auto-pilot) I have some payware aircraft all with
FMC's, and being able to load the correct SID/STAR and airway for route
planning, as well as fuel, speed and height planning makes for a truly
great flight!

Now if only there was some way of getting it to work on my free
aircraft !

:)

FMC = Flight management Computer

I think FMC is boeing and FMGC is Airbus (Flight Management and
Guidance computer)

Either way you program your starting airport and your destination
airport. I then presents you with the correct SIDs and STAR's for the
airports. Plus you tell it you cruising Height and speed and any
restrictions (such as you can not go faster than 250Kts below FL100).
It will then fly the route for you controlling speed and height. (if
you let it)

I want one so I can use it to fly the correct SID and STAR for the
airports I use. It's a real pain trying to do it via the Flight
planner!

GREGORY

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:19:14 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>So what IS an FMC?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Quilly

I think what Quilljar is saying basically.. is "we didn't have any
fancy computin' thing cockpits." It seems.. to the best of
recollection.. the first `flying computer' was the F-111 swept
wing aircraft built in.. Texas?? in the early to mid '60s.

Can recall discussing it with other aircraft engineer buds at
Northrop. It had roughly the `brains' of a moderately simple hand
calculator.. and terrain following radar if I remember correct.

something like 8-bit process and 64k of memory.. some number of k.
It's all so hazy now. :)

-G

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>So what IS an FMC?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Quilly

In small planes it's synonymous to PIC :)

-=tom=-

GREGORY

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:44:05 -0500, Seelochan
<Seelochan@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>FMC = Flight management Computer
>
>I think FMC is boeing and..
> FMGC is Airbus (Flight Management and Guidance computer)

was joking around with Oskar about this.. wisely he didn't reply. :)

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

Your in luck !
http://fmc.scumari.nl/download.html

"Seelochan" <Seelochan@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> Hey, what I'd like is an FMC that you can use on any aircraft (which
> has suitable a Auto-pilot) I have some payware aircraft all with
> FMC's, and being able to load the correct SID/STAR and airway for route
> planning, as well as fuel, speed and height planning makes for a truly
> great flight!
>
> Now if only there was some way of getting it to work on my free
> aircraft !
>
> :)

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote :

> So what IS an FMC?

The acronym stands for Flight Management Computer,
wich is the small computer with alphanumeric display
and keyboard you can easily identify in almost any
modern liner as well as business jets cockpit, usually
located to the right leg of the captain, another one for
the FO, and sometimes a third one for the jumpseat
crewmember. all are connected.

It's basically like flying a plane with a "page" concept
computer. Every page is a phase of flight, plan, takeoff,
climb, cruise, descent and land, and you organize your trip
by altitude levels, crosspoints, nav aids, speeds...

It cooperates with the autopilot for heading and altitude,
and with the autothrottle, for the speed. It also manages
the radio frequencies for the navigation and the navaids
you get along the route, switching them automatically,
as you approach to a route leg by navaids..

Almost every model, I guess, can handle for you "holdings"
around a certain point, alternate airports, flightplans, it has
a route directory, as well as can manager satellite links
for communications and so on.

Kind of you to think that Greg but I really did not know what an FMC was
until now. Mind you, I still wouldn't want to use one otherwwise where's the
fun of flying? But I would certainly hope my pilot was using one IRL when I
go on holiday...

Cheers,

Quilly

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

Quilljar wrote:
> Kind of you to think that Greg but I really did not know what an FMC was
> until now. Mind you, I still wouldn't want to use one otherwwise where's the
> fun of flying? But I would certainly hope my pilot was using one IRL when I
> go on holiday...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

It depends what you want to get out of flightsim. VFR and spot your
house, brush up on hand flying at night or nav skills. I prefer to
emulate the real commercial pilots job. When I take a holiday I make
notes of the stand number and route and recreate the flight as near
perfect as possible including date and weather. Flying a SID/STAR and on
real airway calls for the FMC, unless you have 10 hands ;-)

There is an interesting acticle here btw
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182362-1.html article 85

Steve

Bob

Tom Orle wrote:
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>So what IS an FMC?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Quilly
>

> In small planes it's synonymous to PIC :)
>
> -=tom=-

I was going to keep my smart-ass remark to myself but since you
asked...... We had all that on our knee. Actually it was on a
kneeboard on our knee. :) But it wouldn't fly the flight for you, you
had to do it the old time way, actually moving controls. :)

2nd, I feel bad not knowing what "clipped wings" were actually used for.
My only experience with clipped wings was in Korea when a dumb-ass pilot
had a rotor strike which took off the outer 12 inches, which took off
the weighted tip cap and swept tip of the OH-58 rotor blade. The
aircraft was in a field on the side of a mountain where it would be
difficult to get a CH-47 in to lift the OH-58 out. It was getting dark
and we had no security for the bird so I told the commander that if it
felt ok at a hover I'd fly it back to the airfield. It felt ok so I took
off. Bad move, the blades were too much out of balance with the tip caps
gone that I couldn't fly over 60 knots without bad rotor vibrations, but
live and learn. At 60 knots it was dark when I finally landed at Camp
Stanton 4/7 Cav "Gary Owen Sir"

So I believe, shortening the rotor blades slowed the aircraft down. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Tom Orle wrote:
> > "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> >>So what IS an FMC?
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>
> >>Quilly
> >

> > In small planes it's synonymous to PIC :)
> >
> > -=tom=-
>

> I was going to keep my smart-ass remark to myself but since you
> asked...... We had all that on our knee. Actually it was on a
> kneeboard on our knee. :) But it wouldn't fly the flight for you, you
> had to do it the old time way, actually moving controls. :)
>
> 2nd, I feel bad not knowing what "clipped wings" were actually used for.
> My only experience with clipped wings was in Korea when a dumb-ass pilot
> had a rotor strike which took off the outer 12 inches, which took off
> the weighted tip cap and swept tip of the OH-58 rotor blade. The
> aircraft was in a field on the side of a mountain where it would be
> difficult to get a CH-47 in to lift the OH-58 out. It was getting dark
> and we had no security for the bird so I told the commander that if it
> felt ok at a hover I'd fly it back to the airfield. It felt ok so I took
> off. Bad move, the blades were too much out of balance with the tip caps
> gone that I couldn't fly over 60 knots without bad rotor vibrations, but
> live and learn. At 60 knots it was dark when I finally landed at Camp
> Stanton 4/7 Cav "Gary Owen Sir"
>
> So I believe, shortening the rotor blades slowed the aircraft down. :)

Strictly speaking, it was *you* that slowed the aircraft down. With the
outer bits of the rotors missing it would probably have flown a bit faster
than normal if you'd let it. Of course, then there would have been a danger
of the rotor parting company entirely and you'd have found yourself going
very fast indeed!! :)

Steve

Bob

Steve wrote:

>>2nd, I feel bad not knowing what "clipped wings" were actually used for.
>>My only experience with clipped wings was in Korea when a dumb-ass pilot
>> had a rotor strike which took off the outer 12 inches, which took off
>>the weighted tip cap and swept tip of the OH-58 rotor blade. The
>>aircraft was in a field on the side of a mountain where it would be
>>difficult to get a CH-47 in to lift the OH-58 out. It was getting dark
>>and we had no security for the bird so I told the commander that if it
>>felt ok at a hover I'd fly it back to the airfield. It felt ok so I took
>>off. Bad move, the blades were too much out of balance with the tip caps
>>gone that I couldn't fly over 60 knots without bad rotor vibrations, but
>>live and learn. At 60 knots it was dark when I finally landed at Camp
>>Stanton 4/7 Cav "Gary Owen Sir"
>>
>>So I believe, shortening the rotor blades slowed the aircraft down. :)
>>

> Strictly speaking, it was *you* that slowed the aircraft down. With the
> outer bits of the rotors missing it would probably have flown a bit faster
> than normal if you'd let it. Of course, then there would have been a danger
> of the rotor parting company entirely and you'd have found yourself going
> very fast indeed!! :)
>
> Steve

Believe it or not, the blades coming apart was a thought that didn't
leave my mind until I had it parked. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"Gregory"
> the first `flying computer' was the F-111 swept
> wing aircraft built in.. Texas??

Yup.... General Dynamics Fort Worth Plant. Been there many times.

It's so big they have dozens of bicycles available for anyone to use to
pedal your way to your next meeting. (We're talking all indoors here.)

Dallas

dallas

"boB"
> Believe it or not, the blades coming apart was a thought that didn't
> leave my mind until I had it parked. :)

In my world view, my ass is more important than an OH-58.

Dallas

GREGORY

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:39:14 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory"
>> the first `flying computer' was the F-111 swept
>> wing aircraft built in.. Texas??
>
>Yup.... General Dynamics Fort Worth Plant. Been there many times.
>
>It's so big they have dozens of bicycles available for anyone to use to
>pedal your way to your next meeting. (We're talking all indoors here.)
>
>Dallas

yeah yeah.. and in the early '60s JFK wanted to cut troops to south-
east Asia but McNamara and Johnson didn't want that at all. Sure
enough a lucrative contract for F111 aircraft went to GD.. resulting
in an economic boom for Texas. Was just reading about that in past
two days.. of course NOT in mainstream nooze channel.. :)

Also.. ever notice how the space program.. brainchild of JKF.. then
Mission Control is now located in Houston and in named `Johnson
Space Center'? hmm.. the industrial complex at work?

Interesting comments Dallas.. guess GD plant was bigger than MacAir
facility in St. Louis then!!

-G

GREGORY

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:07:19 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Quilljar"
>> So what IS an FMC?
>
>Ford Motor Corporation.
>

>Dallas

isn't that FoMoCo?

dallas

"Gregory"
> enough a lucrative contract for F111 aircraft went to GD.. resulting
> in an economic boom for Texas.

Oil has always provided the economic boom in Texas... an aircraft factory
is a drop in the ocean. But, lots of aircraft factorys does make a
difference. :)

> Interesting comments Dallas.. guess GD plant was bigger than MacAir
> facility in St. Louis then!!

Don't know... never been to Mickey Dee.. But, GD FW has a long history from
the Consolidated B-24, B-36, F-111 and of course the F-16.... and now the
F-22.

Dallas

GREGORY

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:26:05 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory"
>> enough a lucrative contract for F111 aircraft went to GD.. resulting
>> in an economic boom for Texas.
>
>Oil has always provided the economic boom in Texas.. an aircraft factory
>is a drop in the ocean. But, lots of aircraft factorys does make a
>difference. :)

of course.. but the aircraft plant creates lots of good factory and
high-tech jobs.. and all the employees can buy nice homes and
drive 4x4's.

>> Interesting comments Dallas.. guess GD plant was bigger than MacAir
>> facility in St. Louis then!!
>
>Don't know... never been to Mickey Dee..

Oh?? .. isn't that a burger joint that's served over 4 billion? :)
you were thinking of Big Mac? I was saying MAC Air.

another thing.. a lot of TWA 727's worked that field.. and then
one day 15-years later I was boarding a connecting flight through
Lambert.. a Folker twin-jet. We took off and I turned to the guy
next to me and said.. " this ain't no 727.. " :)

-G

p.s. not intended as negative remark about Fokker...

>Dallas

dallas

"Gregory"
> Oh?? .. isn't that a burger joint that's served over 4 billion? :)
> you were thinking of Big Mac? I was saying MAC Air.

I was guessing what you meant by "MAC Air St. Louis" was McDonnell Douglas
Aerospace-St. Louis?

So I took the McDonnell and turned it into Mickey Dee.

You know... the hip hop airframe manufacturer. :)

MacDallas

GREGORY

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 03:11:01 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory"
>> Oh?? .. isn't that a burger joint that's served over 4 billion? :)
>> you were thinking of Big Mac? I was saying MAC Air.
>
>I was guessing what you meant by "MAC Air St. Louis" was McDonnell Douglas
>Aerospace-St. Louis?

Yes.. McDonnell Douglas Aircraft

>So I took the McDonnell and turned it into Mickey Dee
>
>You know... the hip hop airframe manufacturer. :)

hip hop? hmmm.. is that a multi-cultural race-mixing thing?
or do you mean short-hop passenger jets?

once proudly displayed was `McDonnell Douglas' on the factory..
someone must have a photo of the original signage.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/391392/L/

>MacDallas

dallas

"Gregory"
> once proudly displayed was `McDonnell Douglas' on the factory..
> someone must have a photo of the original signage.>
> http://www.airliners.net/open.file/391392/L/

Yeah, it's sad.. great aerospace companies are "poof"... gone. Same deal
at General Dynamics Ft Worth... the sign reads: Lockheed.

Hey, if I recall, you used to work at McDonnell... in St Louis?

Dallas

GREGORY

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:09:44 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following:

>"Gregory"
>> once proudly displayed was `McDonnell Douglas' on the factory..
>> someone must have a photo of the original signage.>
>> http://www.airliners.net/open.file/391392/L/
>
>Yeah, it's sad.. great aerospace companies are "poof"... gone. Same
>deal at General Dynamics Ft Worth... the sign reads: Lockheed.
>
>Hey, if I recall, you used to work at McDonnell... in St Louis?
>
>Dallas

no sir.. I did not..... subcontractor