Foam Air Filters

Tutengbatute1

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hi guys, I live in the Philippines. I'm having a hard time customizing my Aero Cool Strike X Black for modding. I currently have 3m air-con filters on it and it can be used only once. I’m looking into replacing it with air foam filters. I need to filter the chassis in the side and top to block out dust. I'm looking for a Foam Air filter, doesn’t matter what PPI as long as it’s in sheet form so I can cut it out to my liking. The problem is nobody seems to sell it locally and its going to be to costly if I have it imported. I was wondering if anyone ever tried using the foam filters used in aquariums. I did some research and it seems that they fall under the 20 to 30 PPI range. Any feedback???

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
is it just a 120mm fan on the side of your case you need to filter,getting the right materials for filter i have found difficult,if the fan at the top is exhaust,you dont really need to filter it coz it will not draw dust into the pc,i have seen alot of guys use womens stocking(pantyhose) material,stretch it tight over the front of the fan,it is cheap and replaceable,you can vacuum it to clean it also.,i have also heard of people using the filter material you find in a vacuum,(to filter the motor)but this can be too thick sometimes,the link video at the bottom is very basic but may help..my wife is from lumban laguna province in the philipines...good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1CsgADwBY

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's a good idea about using nylon stockings for an inexpensive filter. (But ask the wife before cutting up her hosiery) If you have a 'big box' hdwr store near you, they have thin A/C filter material you can purchase to make filters from.

Btw, the top fans won't draw in dust, as mrclownface said. But when your PC is off, dirt/dust can still fall into the system.

Tutengbatute1

Honorable
May 3, 2012
@mrclownface - pls say hi to my "kababayan", your wife for me. i plan to put the filter on the whole side panel and top panel, i use the side as intake and top as exhaust. i have a non- air conditioned room so the pc is prone to dust accumulation and really has to have a filter in place. the chassis i have has the foam filters on the front panel, i plan to get something like it. the material in vacuums are exactly an air foam filters, just thicker than the one i need and theyre usually rounded and not in sheet form.

@clutchc - what exactly are you pertaining to - thin A/C filter material? i might have that locally. would you mind posting a picture?

the stockings will be my last option but would really prefer the air foam filters.

Ive included links for the picture of the side and top panels . . . thanks for the responses. appreciate it :pt1cable:

http://www.3ona51.com/images/products/aerocool/strike-x_red/600.jpg

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

thank you tutengbatute1..that large X panel on the side looks difficult to filter,but i know the wheather there is very hot and airflow to your pc is important also,that aircon material may be a good option to cut to the size you need....goood luck..salamat

Tutengbatute1

Honorable
May 3, 2012
@mrclownface - walang anuman. exactly the point dude. its hot as hell here! if i had an a/c room, filter wont be much of a problem but since i rely solely on air cooling, finding the are foam filters the best choice. the only problem with the a/c filter is restricts the air flow by 50% compared if use the foams. thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Then it must not be the same as I used. The A/C filter is just like new after about a year now.

Tutengbatute1

Honorable
May 3, 2012
@ clutchc - im assuming your room is with air conditioning, right. mines not and its a bit dusty where i live. but its what i use now. it just restricts airflow more compared to using the foams but it works for filtering the dirt.

TRENDING THREADS