Question Focus plus gold vs prime ultra gold

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Hi

Does anybody know the exact difference between Sea-sonic Focus plus gold vs prime ultra gold?

Why Prime ultra gold is costlier than Focus plus gold?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Prime Ultra is "technically" better than the FOCUS. And comes with 12 years warranty as opposed to 10. Going off normal consumer spec:
FOCUSPRIME
S3FC - Fanless until 30 % loadPremium Hybrid Fan Control
MTBF = 100,000 hoursMTBF = 150,000 hours

Although you could argue it's the same platform.
FOCUS Plus is more than enough for most. But the PRIME is technically better, and comes with 2 extra years warranty.

Reactions: WildCard999

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
The Prime Ultra is "technically" better than the FOCUS. And comes with 12 years warranty as opposed to 10. Going off normal consumer spec:
FOCUSPRIME
S3FC - Fanless until 30 % loadPremium Hybrid Fan Control
MTBF = 100,000 hoursMTBF = 150,000 hours

Although you could argue it's the same platform.
FOCUS Plus is more than enough for most. But the PRIME is technically better, and comes with 2 extra years warranty.
What about internal components used in both.

is that of same quality in both? Are both doesn't have in cable capacitors?

They removed the inline filtering capacitors on the cables. Reducing the bulky appearance and making resleeving easier. The filtering is internal on the Prime and in cable on the Focus.

They make mention of SATA 3.3 (PWDIS) on the Prime ultra. Which can be a compatibility issue with some high capacity drives on units without PWDIS support. I cannot find mention if the Focus Plus Gold supports it or not on any literature.

Possibly better solder joints. Unfortunately Jonnyguru dinged the Focus Plus Gold for soldering. However, Kitguru gave the Focus Plus Gold high marks for solder. Kitguru also gave the Prime Ultra gold high marks for solder. Jonnyguru hasn't reviewed the Prime Ultra Gold. So, it could be solder quality is the same between them and jonnyguru just has higher standards than kitguru.

All the components used in the Focus Plus Gold are top notch. As reviewed by jonnyguru. The only ding was the soldering job.

As the Focus Plus Gold is an excellent unit. I couldn't see a reason not to use it. In fact I bought two of them because they are so well built.

Reactions: PC Tailor

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
They removed the inline filtering capacitors on the cables. Reducing the bulky appearance and making resleeving easier. The filtering is internal on the Prime and in cable on the Focus.

They make mention of SATA 3.3 (PWDIS) on the Prime ultra. Which can be a compatibility issue with some high capacity drives on units without PWDIS support. I cannot find mention if the Focus Plus Gold supports it or not on any literature.

Possibly better solder joints. Unfortunately Jonnyguru dinged the Focus Plus Gold for soldering. However, Kitguru gave the Focus Plus Gold high marks for solder. Kitguru also gave the Prime Ultra gold high marks for solder. Jonnyguru hasn't reviewed the Prime Ultra Gold. So, it could be solder quality is the same between them and jonnyguru just has higher standards than kitguru.

All the components used in the Focus Plus Gold are top notch. As reviewed by jonnyguru. The only ding was the soldering job.

As the Focus Plus Gold is an excellent unit. I couldn't see a reason not to use it. In fact I bought two of them because they are so well built.
I know the cons of focus plus gold on jonny guru site which is only soldering joints.

do anybody know the con of prime ultra gold psu?

How come nobody has tested the prime ultra gold series internally so far?

strange

Low demand. Most people looking for an extreme premium PSU are going to opt for a Platinum or Titanium unit. So the reviewers focus on them. Eventually someone will get around to the Gold model.

There is so little difference in build quality between the top tier gold units. Which one you choose doesn't make much difference. Mostly it's just what connectors are included, price and watts at that level of quality. While Platinum and Titanium have a palpable difference of power efficiency. Which really makes a difference in your power bill on high watt systems under frequent heavy load.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Low demand. Most people looking for an extreme premium PSU are going to opt for a Platinum or Titanium unit. So the reviewers focus on them. Eventually someone will get around to the Gold model.

There is so little difference in build quality between the top tier gold units. Which one you choose doesn't make much difference. Mostly it's just what connectors are included, price and watts at that level of quality. While Platinum and Titanium have a palpable difference of power efficiency. Which really makes a difference in your power bill on high watt systems under frequent heavy load.
Which one will you choose then prime ultra gold 850w or prime ultra platinum 750 w?

Which one will you choose then prime ultra gold 850w or prime ultra platinum 750 w?

If 750W is all I need and I believe 750W will handle any future upgrades I'd likely perform. I'd get 750W Platinum for the greater energy efficiency. If the price is similar. In most cases 750W is plenty. Ideally I want my expected load to be no greater than 70% of a PSUs capacity. Typically I'll shoot for 50% to 60%.

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Typically there's no difference between high end gold psu and high end platinum/titanum psu, bar efficiency. This means better components too, but unless you plan to use PSU more than 10 years, a gold rated PSU will be 100% fine. In my basement i have some 12 year old bronze psu that still works even under full load, if that tell you something ;)

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Hows the prime air touch 850 gold psu by seasonic? As compare to prime ultra gold?
Well there's no reviews from credible source, and i dont have these PSU so the answer is simple -i dont know. Since its a newer product, have same price point, but more features, you could expect same performance, or some slighly worse components, for make up of the new features[but thats rather unlikely].

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Well there's no reviews from credible source, and i dont have these PSU so the answer is simple -i dont know. Since its a newer product, have same price point, but more features, you could expect same performance, or some slighly worse components, for make up of the new features[but thats rather unlikely].
Ok i have decided to buy prime ultra gold 850w.

hope it will work best for me,

Which one should i buy and why? Money is not an issue
The prime is the top of the line in terms of build quality. But the difference with seasonic is like comparing a Porsche to an Audi. The M12ii (Edited) would be the VW's

Linus considers Prime A Grade and Focus Plus B Grade. But I think that's a bit unfair. They are both excellent units. The Focus Plus is also more compact.

I own a Focus Plus platinum. It has excellent regulation and noise figures. I hooked it to my scope to see the actual numbers.

Last edited:

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Ok i have decided to buy prime ultra gold 850w.

hope it will work best for me,
Thats a great choice! The warranty alone is worth it. 12 year warranty is huge, and if you use your PC non stop, i reckon that a fan will fail after 8-10 years, and caps can fail after 10 years. You will be covered by warranty then.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Thats a great choice! The warranty alone is worth it. 12 year warranty is huge, and if you use your PC non stop, i reckon that a fan will fail after 8-10 years, and caps can fail after 10 years. You will be covered by warranty then.
Now i am confused in between 2

prime ultra gold 850?
Or
Prime ultra platinum 750?

my config is:
I5 9600
16gb ram (8gbx2)
Rtx 2080 overclocked to 1800mhz
How much real wattage power it will use and also i am looking for future headroom as well for future graphics card and i9-9900k?

is that 750 w sufficient?

Last edited:

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
If you want to OC 9900K[200-220W power draw] and OC RTX 2080TI[up to 380W of power draw] in the future then i would get a 850W, to have a 20% headroom. You never want a PSU running more than 80% load because it is noisier, and it will have less longevity.

anjris

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
If you want to OC 9900K[200-220W power draw] and OC RTX 2080TI[up to 380W of power draw] in the future then i would get a 850W, to have a 20% headroom. You never want a PSU running more than 80% load because it is noisier, and it will have less longevity.
Then in my current situation. 850 will be perfect. As it will take load around 50% load in my config.

where it will provide accurate efficiency

RainingTacco

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Then in my current situation. 850 will be perfect. As it will take load around 50% load in my config.

where it will provide accurate efficiency
If you dont plan to overclock i would say 750W is enough. A very good PSU like prime would have no problem running everything overclocked at 750W, but it would be 100% utilization at max load[considering also that you might want 2 ssd, 2 hdd, some fans, or aio]