Fogged polarizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just bought a new 77mm Hoya polarizer and noticed that it's fogy. I
held the rest of my Hoya polarizers up to a light bulb with my finger in
front of them. All of them showed the shadow of my finger on the
surface to varying degrees.

I'm returning the 77mm Hoya but what about the others? What's an
acceptable amount of fogging in a polarizer? What about better brands?

Which 77mm Hoya do you have and where did you buy it? I'm having similar
problems with the Hoya 77mm HMC polarizer. The first one I ordered from B&H
arrived disassembled and out of the factory packaging which I attributed to
poor packaging. I assembled and cleaned it before trying it. The resulting
pictures had a haze to them and were not acceptable. B&H replaced that one
and sent me another, which, again, arrived unassembled. Weather permitting;
I will test this one Saturday or Sunday. I'm hoping this one will be good
so I don't have to send it back. I called B&H to let them know what
happened and to tell them to check their remaining stock for this problem
since I think a bunch of defective filters slipped by Hoya's QA. If I have
to send this one back I will ask for another brand.

"Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

> I just bought a new 77mm Hoya polarizer and noticed that it's fogy. I
> held the rest of my Hoya polarizers up to a light bulb with my finger in
> front of them. All of them showed the shadow of my finger on the
> surface to varying degrees.
>
> I'm returning the 77mm Hoya but what about the others? What's an
> acceptable amount of fogging in a polarizer? What about better

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:04:16 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "DigiTail" <non
specified> wrote:

>Which 77mm Hoya do you have and where did you buy it? I'm having similar
>problems with the Hoya 77mm HMC polarizer. The first one I ordered from B&H
>arrived disassembled and out of the factory packaging which I attributed to
>poor packaging. I assembled and cleaned it before trying it. The resulting
>pictures had a haze to them and were not acceptable. B&H replaced that one
>and sent me another, which, again, arrived unassembled. Weather permitting;
>I will test this one Saturday or Sunday. I'm hoping this one will be good
>so I don't have to send it back. I called B&H to let them know what
>happened and to tell them to check their remaining stock for this problem
>since I think a bunch of defective filters slipped by Hoya's QA. If I have
>to send this one back I will ask for another brand.

I've bought a bunch of filters from http://www.2filters.com over the years,
most recently including a 63mm Hoya HMC c-polarizer for the kit lens on my
D70. No problems.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

DigiTail wrote:
> Which 77mm Hoya do you have and where did you buy it? I'm having
> similar problems with the Hoya 77mm HMC polarizer. The first one I
> ordered from B&H arrived disassembled

That's the new DIY version. :)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"DigiTail" <non specified> wrote in message
> Which 77mm Hoya do you have and where did you buy it? I'm having
similar
> problems with the Hoya 77mm HMC polarizer.

I recently went to a dealer to purchase a 77mm polarizer, and I asked
for a slim B+W MRC coated version. The filter was out of stock and the
sales person tried to sell me a Hoya one. As he was boasting about the
quality he took the filter out of the box and..., the filter fell out
of its mount. Apparently the spring Hoya uses to lock the filter in
place is too loose. The B+W filter is mechanically of better
construction and the glass/pola-foil sandwich is of equal quality.

Bart

jules

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Spring?

"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

> I recently went to a dealer to purchase a 77mm polarizer, and I asked
> for a slim B+W MRC coated version. The filter was out of stock and the
> sales person tried to sell me a Hoya one. As he was boasting about the
> quality he took the filter out of the box and..., the filter fell out
> of its mount. Apparently the spring Hoya uses to lock the filter in
> place is too loose. The B+W filter is mechanically of better
> construction and the glass/pola-foil sandwich is of equal quality.
>
> Bart

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:57:19 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Jules"
<post@newsgroup.com> wrote:

>Spring?

Maybe a better definition is an inside circlip.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Thanks for the recommendation of the B+W. I sent the second Hoya back to
B&H because of poor optics and the retaining spring and glass not in the
holder. I did get the B+W Kaesemann polarizer as a replacement. There is
no comparison of build quality to the poorly constructed Hoya. I don't
think I will ever waste any more money on Hoya. B&H did a great job by
standing behind their products and I will always buy from them in the
future.

"Bart van der Wolf" <bvdwolf@no.spam> wrote in message

> "DigiTail" <non specified> wrote in message
> > Which 77mm Hoya do you have and where did you buy it? I'm having
> similar
> > problems with the Hoya 77mm HMC polarizer.
>
> I recently went to a dealer to purchase a 77mm polarizer, and I asked
> for a slim B+W MRC coated version. The filter was out of stock and the
> sales person tried to sell me a Hoya one. As he was boasting about the
> quality he took the filter out of the box and..., the filter fell out
> of its mount. Apparently the spring Hoya uses to lock the filter in
> place is too loose. The B+W filter is mechanically of better
> construction and the glass/pola-foil sandwich is of equal quality.
>
> Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS