News Fold-Off: Help Us Fight COVID-19 (and Beat Anandtech) With Your Spare CPU and GPU Cycles

margrave

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Also ... bring all your unwanted pots and pans to a government collection faciltity. Uncle Sam needs metals for the war effort.
Oh wait! That was a just a make-em-feel-good program. The metal wasn't wanted or needed for the war.

And neither are your compute cycles.

rpissm

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
I just started and my GPU is showing 50% utilization now so I'm assuming it's working. However, in the dropdown where I select which kind of disease I want to help, there are just 4 options (Alzheimer's, Cancer, Parkinsons, and Huntington's). How do I select COVID-19? Will my points help Tom's anyway?

rpissm

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Also ... bring all your unwanted pots and pans to a government collection faciltity. Uncle Sam needs metals for the war effort.
Oh wait! That was a just a make-em-feel-good program. The metal wasn't wanted or needed for the war.

And neither are your compute cycles.

But I'll bet you'll be first in line when this work leads to a vaccine.

r5dpilot

Commendable
Jul 29, 2018
Doesn't folding generally shorten the lifespan of your hardware?

I've been going on Einstein@home 24/7 since 2005. In fact, as I'm typing this on my ThreadRipper work station it's crunching 10 work units.

The only failures I've had were two EVGA graphic cards (out of about eight) that were replaced under warranty and are still running after five years. Most of the time technology is updated and equipment is replaced long before any failures occur...

shorttack

Commendable
Aug 13, 2017
Doesn't work! I've been trying for days and am unable to download any work units. My GPU sits idle while my CPU cranks away at discovering how some undersea, arctic worm survives.
GPU supply is overwhelming work demand. There aren't enough work units to go around. My production is down 80% in the past week. I'm shutting down servers so you can be involved. Hopefully, the scientists will produce more work for us to crunch, but I'm less hopeful as the week goes by.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

islandwalker

Managing Editor
Editor
Mar 6, 2018
I just started and my GPU is showing 50% utilization now so I'm assuming it's working. However, in the dropdown where I select which kind of disease I want to help, there are just 4 options (Alzheimer's, Cancer, Parkinsons, and Huntington's). How do I select COVID-19? Will my points help Tom's anyway?

"When you run the app, you’ll have the option to choose whether to participate in research for “Any Disease” or specifically Alzheimer’s, cancer, Huntington’s or Parkinson’s. Leave the setting at its default, Any Disease, to fight COVID-19. Not all workloads will be COVID-19 related, but even if your computer ends up on a cancer project for a few hours, you’re still helping and the points still count. "

Reactions: TJ Hooker

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
GPU supply is overwhelming work demand. There aren't enough work units to go around. My production is down 80% in the past week. I'm shutting down servers so you can be involved. Hopefully, the scientists will produce more work for us to crunch, but I'm less hopeful as the week goes by.

is it possible to target certain work servers? (I noticed they listed some addresses over at F@H site)

Also, is it possible to increase the WU polling rate? (essentially ask for WU more frequently)

Mar 18, 2020
If you're having difficulties with folding@home, here are a couple of alternative citizen science projects that are contributing to the fight against COVID-19

Foldit https://fold.it/portal/ allows you to interactively design proteins to bind and inactivate a critical virus protein.

Eterna https://eternagame.org/home/ which focuses on RNA design, has announced a series of upcoming initiatives to design RNA that will diagnose and combat the virus.

Reactions: dethkult

rpissm

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
"When you run the app, you’ll have the option to choose whether to participate in research for “Any Disease” or specifically Alzheimer’s, cancer, Huntington’s or Parkinson’s. Leave the setting at its default, Any Disease, to fight COVID-19. Not all workloads will be COVID-19 related, but even if your computer ends up on a cancer project for a few hours, you’re still helping and the points still count. "

Ah yes, reading comprehension was never my strong point. :)

That's a good benchmark for my OCed 2080 Ti and 8 Core 16 Threads Ryzen :LOL:
Lets see who gets the fastest folding speed.

I might actually test it and post what speed I get just for fun. I used to use Folding@Home with my PS3 and GTX280.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
COVID-19 will be available if you go to Advanced Control > Configure > Expert > Add client option: client-type = advanced. You won't see it in the list of diseases, but you will get some jobs for it if you leave it on "any disease". Be aware that Folding@home doesn't guarantee the same level of stability for work units in advanced mode.

JWolfe

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
We’re joining Folding@home to help find a vaccine (and rub Anandtech’s nose in it).

Fold-Off: Help Us Fight COVID-19 (and Beat Anandtech) With Your Spare CPU and GPU Cycles : Read more

Love to help, but there are a slew of dependency errors on OpenSuse Tumbleweed. I don't think I can fix them

error: Failed dependencies:
bzip2-libs is needed by fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64
libcrypto.so.10()(64bit) is needed by fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64
libcrypto.so.10(OPENSSL_1.0.1_EC)(64bit) is needed by fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64
libcrypto.so.10(libcrypto.so.10)(64bit) is needed by fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64
libssl.so.10()(64bit) is needed by fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64
libssl.so.10(libssl.so.10)(64bit) is needed by fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64
shadow-utils is needed by fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64

but if anyone knows how .....

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
I only wanted to know if FOLDING&HOME was devoting it's all to the Corona VIrus.
When I was folding FAH was random in the folding they assigned,
I am curious again, but brother, were they cranky with the hook ups and power levels.

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
I folded before. I DO BELIEVE the article should have worked out your concern first and foremost as I recall the way Stanford treated folders. I would help Tom's IF the pathway to folding for Corona and Tom;s was 100% accessible and transparent.
FAH has it's constraints that took me away after hours of folding, not that they act elitist to the "common" normal PC user, however, they want you to dedicate a 24/7/365 unit IN THE IDEAL STATE. Meaning, this " just turn me on, when your PC is on" is not all that easy and i found the flies in the ointment too much. I do like FAH as a concept and would help.
:)