Folder backup question

technood

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
If I use Windows backup and restore to save my installed program folder, will it also back up the bits that are not in the folder that they require to run them, for instance registry files.I was wanting to back up my progs folder in case of any trouble but if they will not work if I try to restore them then I wont bother and just rely on my full back up files.Also on the same subject, how does windows create a full system file while windows itself is running,

Solution
I would suggest:

Use Windows backup and restore to make a system backup which will include your OS and registry about once per month.
Use a free backup utility such as FBackup to make mirror backups if your programs, personal files, preferable on an external drive that can be taken off site. Of course this get's much easier if you have partitioned your drive. For example

C:\OS - Puts OS on fastest part of the drive and keeps it there thru 100s of WUs
D:\Temp - Puts temp / page files on 2nd fastest part and keeps them there
E:\Programs - Keeps all programs in next fastest part
F:\Data - Puts data on slowest part

For backup....

C:\OS - use Windows backup, once a month or whatever you see fit
D:\ - no need to back this up...
I would suggest:

Use Windows backup and restore to make a system backup which will include your OS and registry about once per month.
Use a free backup utility such as FBackup to make mirror backups if your programs, personal files, preferable on an external drive that can be taken off site. Of course this get's much easier if you have partitioned your drive. For example

C:\OS - Puts OS on fastest part of the drive and keeps it there thru 100s of WUs
D:\Temp - Puts temp / page files on 2nd fastest part and keeps them there
E:\Programs - Keeps all programs in next fastest part
F:\Data - Puts data on slowest part

For backup....

C:\OS - use Windows backup, once a month or whatever you see fit
D:\ - no need to back this up
E:\Programs - use FBackup, once a month or whatever
F:\Data - use FBackup, once a week, once a day or whatever you see fit

Solution

TRENDING THREADS