Folder icons aren't recognizing when the folders have files in them

Jan 5, 2019
I noticed recently that when I make a new folder and put stuff in it, the folder icon doesn't change from the one that signifies that the folder is empty, i.e. new folders I make always have that single empty folder icon. I can still use Windows File Explorer like normal—I can open all the folders and access everything normally—but I was wondering why this small visual feature wouldn't work, and I can't find a solution anywhere.

Folders that I had already made before the issue retain their icons showing me what kind of file is inside, but if I add another file inside the old folder, it then changes the folder icon to the empty one, and I can't seem to convert it back.

If I right click a folder and go to Properties > Customize > Choose File (to show on this folder icon), nothing shows up to select even if there are files within the folder. Inner folders might show up, but going into those inner folders reveals none of their files.

Even when I make a folder with nothing but other folders in it, the outer folder's icon won't change (it used to show the original icon but with an extra folder inside of it).

It seems like Explorer or whatever manages the default icons isn't recognizing when folders have things in them. Anyone encounter this before?

Jan 5, 2019

I have. I went ahead and tried it again, but still no results.

I tried pretty much everything I found on Google when I typed different abridged versions of my title for this thread, but the issue behind all of the fixes I found seemed to be that users couldn't see icons at all or they were blank or something