[SOLVED] Folder in use . . ?

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Hello.

Every so often when one tries to delete a file (seeming to be of no earthly use to anyone) the irritating ErrMsg window pops up:

Folder-in-use.jpg

in use by whom? Doesn't stupid Windblows itself know?
razz.gif
Of course it does. Then why not say: ' . . . the folder or a file in it is open in [Name of Program]'?
Thank you.

(Windows 10 ver. 21H2 build 19044.1766)

Colif

Win 11 Master
try deleting it in safe mode
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
its probably in use by a System controlled user. You are probably only human user but windows has a number of users it uses to carry out tasks for you.
These users include
  • SYSTEM
  • Local Service,
  • Network Service,
  • UMFD-0 & UMFD-1 (these stand for Usermode Font Driver Host),
  • DWM-1 (Windows Desktop Manager)
There are others.

Last edited:

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks Colif, my newfound friend! Yeah, I could do as you suggest but it's no permanent, system-wide solution and would, in the long run, be inconvenient as all get out 'cause

1) my hunk-a-junk PC takes about 5 mins to reboot - the HDD LED is constantly on for 4 out of those 5 minutes - and

2) the 'Folder in use' thing happens often enough for that to be an option.

I have tried the Registry hack that restores 'Take Ownership' to the context menu and taken ownership of the file in question - no good.

I was looking for a 'quick fix' like that you see.

Ensign Scrulu

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
. . . taking ownership isn't always best idea. I'm sure you're right but it's always worked for me (so far as I know, that is. An OS is such an incredibly complex system; what you change at one point may have unforeseeable consequenses at another point sometime later.)

Thanks for your tips and the links, I will try the links when I get back home - right now it's time to get busee while the sun still shines. I am on UTC +1 hour way up here in Sweden see.

TRENDING THREADS