Folder Options Unresponsive in Windows XP

OK! This may be something someone has previously described
before, but I can't resolve it. I am running Windows XP
Home and
have all the updates. When I open a folder, I can not get
the stupid software to save my preferred settings for the
folder. I desire to have the address bar appear in the
header of the folder.

I have opened the "View" menu a hundred times, click
"Toolbars", and click "Address Bar" so that the check mark
appears. I then click "Lock the toolbar" so that the check
mark appears. I then open the "Tools" menu, click the
"Folder Options" tab, click the "View" tab, and click "Apply
to All Folders". Then I click "Ok", close everything,
reboot, and I'm back to square one with no address bar
visible in the folders.

Does anyone understand why this happens? Can anyone propose
a solution?

Many thanks for your assistance. I suspect that it
something simple, but I am at a loss as to how to resolve
the dilemma.

Please email me at nospam1953@bellsouth.net.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Regnad Kcin wrote:

> OK! This may be something someone has previously described
> before, but I can't resolve it. I am running Windows XP Home and
> have all the updates. When I open a folder, I can not get
> the stupid software to save my preferred settings for the
> folder. I desire to have the address bar appear in the
> header of the folder.
>
> I have opened the "View" menu a hundred times, click
> "Toolbars", and click "Address Bar" so that the check mark
> appears. I then click "Lock the toolbar" so that the check
> mark appears. I then open the "Tools" menu, click the
> "Folder Options" tab, click the "View" tab, and click "Apply
> to All Folders". Then I click "Ok", close everything,
> reboot, and I'm back to square one with no address bar
> visible in the folders.
>
> Does anyone understand why this happens? Can anyone propose
> a solution?
>
> Many thanks for your assistance. I suspect that it
> something simple, but I am at a loss as to how to resolve
> the dilemma.
>
> Please email me at nospam1953@bellsouth.net.

what SP level is it? SP1 only save the settings for the first 400
folders. To increase this to 8000 run the edit on Kelly's site:
Line 2: Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000

See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User