[SOLVED] Folder permissions change on their own

hesoyam100

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Hello all!

So I'm running Windows 10 and my program files folders permissions constantly change back to something on my HDD. It doesn't matter if I remove everyone from the permission list and leave only the users and the administrator because after a restart everything reverts back to something else. Basically, if I leave it like that it won't let me edit or do anything in the folder without administrator permissions although my account is the administrator. The only thing it lets me create inside the folder is new folders and even I can only do that with administrator permissions.

I already tried to look for viruses or malwares but nothing.

What could be the problem?

Thank you for reading my post and Merry Christmas!

Solution
I reinstalled Windows and changed the permissions on every drive that isn't the main drive and now it good. It was probably a bug or a virus. Thank you all for the answers and Happy Holidays!
D

Deleted member 14196

Do you have the ransom ware stuff turned on? Look in your security settings I think it’s called controlled access or something

hesoyam100

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
"and my program files folders permissions constantly change back to something on my HDD "

Not sure what you mean by this.

What drives are in this system?
Why are you trying to change the permissions manually?
Sorry, I meant the folder was not on my main drive but a secondary one. Every single drive I have is completely fine except this one with only that specific folder. I basically need administrator permissions to create a folder inside the Program Files folder, and every time I change the user permissions it starts working again like it normally would. But if I turn off my pc or restart it the changes revert back to the original.

hesoyam100

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Why do you need to create a subfolder in Program Files?
I don't need to right now it's just an example. The important thing is, that every time I'd like to modify something, delete an old folder, install a new program or game, I need to have administrator permissions even though my account IS the system administrator for my pc.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't need to right now it's just an example. The important thing is, that every time I'd like to modify something, delete an old folder, install a new program or game, I need to have administrator permissions even though my account IS the system administrator for my pc.
  1. For a application install location, it absolutely does not need to be named "Program Files". You can install application in any location or folder you choose.
  2. Your "administrator" account is not the High Lord and Master of everything. There are other permission level that take over behind the scenes when you install something. The 'TrustedInstaller' entity, for instance. And you, the human, do NOT have access to that. It is controlled by Windows.
  3. Just about every folder presents as "Readonly", especially on the C drive, until you are interacting with it. It does NOT stay at 'Write" all the time. This is a security feature.

hesoyam100

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
I reinstalled Windows and changed the permissions on every drive that isn't the main drive and now it good. It was probably a bug or a virus. Thank you all for the answers and Happy Holidays!

Solution