Malcolm

I just formatted my harddisk and reinstalling Win XP Pro and SP1. After
painstakingly setting the folder view and folder picture for every folder in
My pictures, I noticed that some folder settings are "cross-contaminated" by
settings from another folder from a different location. I had edited the
registry with the bags8000 registry edit provided for some other queries but
this problem seems to persist.

Furthermore, the settings were totally different when I access the My
Pictures folder through My Computer>My Documents>My Pictures from when I
access the My Pictures folder direct through the Start menu. How is this so?
Does this mean I have to set every individual folder setting for both
pathways?

kelly

More info needed.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Malcolm" <Malcolm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just formatted my harddisk and reinstalling Win XP Pro and SP1. After
> painstakingly setting the folder view and folder picture for every folder
> in
> My pictures, I noticed that some folder settings are "cross-contaminated"
> by
> settings from another folder from a different location. I had edited the
> registry with the bags8000 registry edit provided for some other queries
> but
> this problem seems to persist.
>
> Furthermore, the settings were totally different when I access the My
> Pictures folder through My Computer>My Documents>My Pictures from when I
> access the My Pictures folder direct through the Start menu. How is this
> so?
> Does this mean I have to set every individual folder setting for both
> pathways?

Malcolm

Ok, what I meant by "cross-contaminated". Suppose I set this folder A in My
Pictures with Picture A as the thumbnail image and I find that folder B in
another location (sometimes within My Pictures folder itself) hs picture A
set as the thumbnail image even though I set it as picture B earlier. I
recieved 3 registry files from tech support some time back:

bags8000 (the file you recommended to increase the settings capacity to 8000

folderviews (with the following registry instructions)
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

savesettings
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

I installed them and they were fine until I found out that the settings for
the same folder but accessed from different points are different.

Take for example folder A in My Pictures
I access My Pictures through the icon present in the Start menu and set
picture A for folder A. I access My pictures from My Computer > My Documents
> My pictures and find that settings I did for folder A does not exist at all
and is using the default settings. Same thing when I access folder A from My
Computer > D drive > My Documents > My Pictures. The settings of the folders
through these 3 different access points are no longer linked even though they
lead to the same folder. What is wrong with the filing system of XP Pro?