Folder size info - limited to 999 MB?

I've started using some large map files. Just noticed that the status
line in a My Computer window displays 999 MB for anything over that
size (e.g 2.3 GB). Is that a known bug of Win XP? Any work around
please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Why are you claiming it's a bug. Change your attitude.

David Candy wrote:
> Why are you claiming it's a bug. Change your attitude.

It is not a "known bug" - if it was a 'known bug', wouldn't your extensive
Google and Microsoft web page searches turned up something?
Also - not only is it not a 'known bug' - but it seems to be something
fairly unique to your system - as i have never seen this question or seen
this problem before. 999MB is quite a strange number to throw out there. I
know you cannot have files over 4GB in size in FAT32 environements - but
NTFS has no such limits (that small.) So, it would be helpful if you could
post on a web page somewhere a screenshot..

Side by side on your screen have the DOS window with a DIR showing the true
size of the file and in the explorer window next to it, with the status bar
displayed. Also - it wouldn't hurt to right-click and display the
properties of the file/folder/files..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Paul

Splendid

No this is not a known bug...

I've got 2.3 gig in one folder and the status bar display the correct
size.....

You must have somethig strange going on in your machine......

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> I've started using some large map files. Just noticed that the status
> line in a My Computer window displays 999 MB for anything over that
> size (e.g 2.3 GB). Is that a known bug of Win XP? Any work around
> please?
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

pops

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Why are you claiming it's a bug. Change your attitude.

YOU try changing YOUR attitude! Obviously, he suspects
it's a bug, but "why" is not a pro-active statement.
It's not even re-active; it's stupid and
counter-productive and uncalled for.\

When you have nothing to say, that's exactly what you
should say: NOTHING!

"Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No this is not a known bug...
>
>I've got 2.3 gig in one folder and the status bar display the correct
>size.....
>
>You must have somethig strange going on in your machine......

Thanks, looks like it then, if no one else can reproduce the
behaviour. FWIW, this was a DVD drive folder I was exploring. Just
been trying to find an individual folder on my *HD* that contains over
1 GB, to se if same fault present, but so far haven't done so. Of
course, My Computer reports size of root files, excluding subfolders.

I'll reboot (rare occurrence here) and try again.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

I've had this [similar] happen to my mp3 folder several times which is in
excess of 30gb when i select the folder i can hear the computer calculating
the disk space but instead of an accurate number it seems to just "give up"
and display Greater Than; "xGB" I didn't lose any sleep over it, there are a
couple of other ways to view the size of a folder that are faster than
windows explorer. The cmd interface was mentioned i noticed. You can right
click the folder/properties and wait for it to count up the files.

> "Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >No this is not a known bug...
> >
> >I've got 2.3 gig in one folder and the status bar display the correct
> >size.....
> >
> >You must have somethig strange going on in your machine......
>
> Thanks, looks like it then, if no one else can reproduce the
> behaviour. FWIW, this was a DVD drive folder I was exploring. Just
> been trying to find an individual folder on my *HD* that contains over
> 1 GB, to se if same fault present, but so far haven't done so. Of
> course, My Computer reports size of root files, excluding subfolders.
>
> I'll reboot (rare occurrence here) and try again.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

It will only waste 2 secs at a time calculating. Reshow the tip to get another 2 secs.