Folder size threshold

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004

Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
space has been cleared?

Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.

Thanks,
Grant

Set a quota...

"Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
> Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share
> until space has been cleared?
>
> Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps
> of stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>

> Thanks,
> Grant

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

remember that quotas are per volume.....you can't put a quota on a folder.

--
aaron
A+,NET+,MCSE 2K/2K3,CNA,CCNA

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
>Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
>space has been cleared?
>
>Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
>stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>

>Thanks,
>Grant

See tip 4810 » How can I implement a share or departmental quota system?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
>Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
>space has been cleared?
>
>Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
>stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>

>Thanks,
>Grant

See tip 9460 » How do I implement a shared folder quota system?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

you can use disk quota...

Jerold Schulman wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:01:46 +0100, "Grant" <gpsnett@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Is there a way to set a threshold on a folder on a windows 2003 server?
>>Something that wont allow a user to place any more files on the share until
>>space has been cleared?
>>
>>Ive got a temp folder on the server but people abuse it by copying heaps of
>>stuff there and not bothering to delete old files.
>>

>>Thanks,
>>Grant
>>

> See tip 9460 » How do I implement a shared folder quota system?
> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

As of 2003 R2 beta1 you can have per-directory quotas. These can be created
using a CLI via dirquota.exe or via a GUI with the FSRM MMC snap-in.

Brian