foldername ends with dots

Dear readers,

A program created a directory ending in two dots i.e. "myfolder..".
I get this strange message that the folder is not there, when I try to
open/delete/rename it.
Now i tried to create a such named folder it appears that windows removes
the dots.

Is there a way to open/rename this folder, I'm not sure if it's empty.

Tia, Jean

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:10:54 +0100, Jean Pion wrote:

> Dear readers,
>
> A program created a directory ending in two dots i.e. "myfolder..".
> I get this strange message that the folder is not there, when I try to
> open/delete/rename it.
> Now i tried to create a such named folder it appears that windows removes
> the dots.
>
> Is there a way to open/rename this folder, I'm not sure if it's empty.
>
> Tia, Jean

Are you sure it ends in two dots? If a column is not wide enough, a long
name will be truncated and trailing dots added to indicate the name is
longer than what is shown. Use Details view and double click the divider
between Name header and the header for the next column. The width of the
column will expand to accommodate the longest name.

Or you may have known extensions hidden - the default setting in Folder
Options> View. Disable the setting and check the name of the mystery item
again. A previously hidden extension may appear giving more clues about
what this item is.

If the folder did indeed have trailing dots in its name, I don't know of a
way to restore that manually (maybe after some more coffee but drawing a
blank right now). Have you tried reinstalling the program that originally
created the folder? Doing so should recreate the folder again if it is
really needed for the program to operate.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Jean Pion wrote:
> Dear readers,
>
> A program created a directory ending in two dots i.e. "myfolder..".
> I get this strange message that the folder is not there, when I try to
> open/delete/rename it.

Hi;

This may work. Open a CMD window, then type this:

"move myfolder??? newone" (without the quotes)

That assumes that there is only one (!) file and/or folder matching the
"myfolder*.*" name on that drive, and that there are only 3 dots or other
characters after the final "r" in the viewable filename.

--

....Sky