Folding@Home: THGC Needs You -Team 40051

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
There are two reasons that I haven't overclocked so far.

1. I am both working and going to school, which doesn't leave much time for other things

2. I like a quiet computer, and my Zalman 9700LED cooler is nice and quiet at the lowest fan setting. However, at that setting the processor sometimes gets up to 50 C if the room gets warm, which is about as hot as I like to run regularly. Re-applying thermal paste might help, but the time thing comes up again.

Fortunately,

1. This is my finals week, so I'll be able to do some playing around with settings soon.

2. I'm planning on ordering a pair of fans for the side of my case. I'm using a CoolerMaster Storm Scout with stock fans, which are 2x exhaust fans, one top and one back, which move allot of air, and 1x intake fan which blows onto the side of the hard drive rack, and so doesn't move much at all. I read somewhere that my cooler likes a positive pressure case, so 2 more intake fans mounted where they will have free airflow should help my cooling considerably. On that note, what would people here recommend for quiet (<20db), clear (or dark, if they're good), 120mm fans? Lighted would be a bonus, but not necessary, and I'm not paying more than $20 for a fan. I've done a bit of looking, and found some from xigmatek that I like, but I'd like to hear any other suggestions.

So, in summary, I should be able to add on a couple hundred megahertz soon.

If you check previous recent threads I've just updated all my case fans and can recommend the Enermax.

I have the TB and the Everest, the TB is near silent but doesn't shift the air of the Everest and the Everest also has an optional blue led that you can turn on and off.

The Appolish seem nice but expensive, don't know how they are priced overseas but the TB / Everest and Clusters are around the £7-£10 mark, the Appolish are £17-£20.

I would probably get the Clusters if I could choose again.

http://www.enermax.co.uk/products/fans.html

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I checked out newegg, which is where I am making up my order, and the only high-performance enermax they have is the magma. However, it is in my specs and price range, and it would look fine. Think that's a decent buy?

These have great airflow but you may need a case upgrade. :na:
windfarm.jpg

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Yea, yea, one day I will be back to nip at your heels(hopefully).
:hello:
Hello and goodbye, you will leave me in the dust, for now anyway.

shovenose

Distinguished
OOOOH do we help the opposition?? ^^SPAM ALERT^^SHAMELESS ADVERTISING^^ :lol:

Heres a basic one with your info, as you can see they look better when not being strangled by THGC restrictions!

536718.png

Heres another, its quite easy once you get the hang of it -

536718.png

This is the site where you can create them and change colours, display, backgrounds etc.
Look down the bottom for icon and background overlay options and where you put your user id - 536718

http://piro.pirocast.net/badges/badgemaker.html

Once you have it looking the way you want the link and img options are all listed below the sig.

shovenose

Distinguished
why is it showing me under badcaps.net????
I NEED TO CHANGE THE TEAM IT DISPLAYS HOW DO I DO THAT?
thank you...

...and posting links to my site is not really spam because it actually could be helpful to some people, there are some good psu reviews on it, and since i dont have ads on it i dont get any money from it, so i get no personal gain from you clicking on the link (except for my enjoyin getting more visiters...and nobody has had any problem with my sig so yeah...

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

:non: must watch language

:p

Maybe I should get a controller, but I'll probably just mod them with a resistor ir they're too loud

:non: must watch language

I did wonder what is classed as unacceptable, so sorry, I'll use this in future. [:beanoslim:1]

Maybe I should get a controller, but I'll probably just mod them with a resistor ir they're too loud

18db shouldn't be too loud, thats at full speed with nearly 70cfm.
My Everest are 12db at 46cfm and thats just a low hum, I tried to install them with the enclosed rubber fan mounts and they took the skin off the end of my fingers trying to pull them through the holes.

Still no [:beanoslim:1] ing points.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Actually, I don't know what the language rules are; you'll have to ask the mouseman.

I am more woried about air flow noise, rather than fan noise with those fans. The side of the case has slots which may restrict airflow and make it hiss. I'll see how the ruber is - I've survived puting in some 15 chicken plucker fingers, but it hurt!
Anyhow, the high temp plastic should allow me to do mods without destroying anything.

It looks like allot of the team is out right now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.