[SOLVED] Followed guide on cloning Windows 10 OS from old SSD to new SSD, but wiping old SSD wiped all data from new SSD- including windows OS

Jun 29, 2020
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a new SSD (XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB) and cloned all my data from my old SSD (WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB). Following the guide that I found from other tomshardware threads on cloning to a new SSD (in order to speed up boot times), everything seemed to work- including disconnecting the old SSD, booting up from the SX8200 Pro, then plugging back in the old SSD. I then used the WD SSD software to erase all the data from my WD SSD in order to use it for other storage, as all the files had been cloned to the SX8200Pro. I had checked disk management and saw that all the partitions had been properly cloned (Windows, reserved partition) so I erased all the data from the WD Blue SSD. However, once I did this, I pulled up the disk management screen and saw that the data from the new SX8200Pro had been wiped as well, as it showed up as 950GB of unallocated space. The computer then shut down and now I am stuck on the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" screen, and even after entering the BIOS to make sure that the SX8200Pro is first in boot order, nothing helps. I assume a fresh windows install will be needed, as well as a reinstallation of all apps and games onto the computer, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can possibly do to work around this issue, such as recovering all the lost data. Thanks in advance.

SPECS:
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GSkill FlareX 2x8GB DDR4 CL16
XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB

Solution
I pulled up the disk management screen and saw that the data from the new SX8200Pro had been wiped as well, as it showed up as 950GB of unallocated space.
How could you have launched Disk Management, if windows partition has been wiped clean?

You'd have to boot from a different drive to do this.
If you boot from multiple windows installations on different drives, then fast boot in BIOS has to be turned off.
I pulled up the disk management screen and saw that the data from the new SX8200Pro had been wiped as well, as it showed up as 950GB of unallocated space.
How could you have launched Disk Management, if windows partition has been wiped clean?

You'd have to boot from a different drive to do this.
If you boot from multiple windows installations on different drives, then fast boot in BIOS has to be turned off.

Solution